Substance Painter

Let us know how to improve Substance Painter!
Some guidelines before posting:
- This place is dedicated to feature requests and/new ideas suggestions. It is not made for bug reports (you can use the forum or the bug reporters for this).
- Before to create a new ticket, make sure your idea hadn’t been suggested before (if so it’s better to upvote it)
- 1 post = 1 idea

Thanks

How can we improve Substance Painter?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Position-Aware Reimport Mesh

The current Reimport Mesh functionality calculates a bounding box for all objects in a particular 3D file (e.g. DAE) and recalculates the brush strokes based on the full bounding box.

This causes issues if another object is added to an existing file - in my case I was working on an optional 'attachment' item for a body and, after painting for a number of hours, wanted to add in part of the upper body as a reference. I left the size and location of the mesh I was painting alone and added another object above it. When reimporting, Substance painter…

1 vote
    Sign in Sign in with All Right Reserved
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Make a tool to import all exported maps

When working with many objects it can be time consuming to connect up all the maps in the 3d application this script for 3ds max does a great job but its only for vray and its not updated anymore. something like this for all the major renders would be great

https://hocuspocus-studio.fr/tools/product/substance-to-maxvray/

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Sponsor QT to fix their High DPI Scaling bug

Substance Painter is an amazing program, but the UI is being horribly ruined by a third-party bug. QT is unable to render non-multiples of 96 dpi (thus making the much needed 125% scaling render as 100%, and 150% render as 200%): https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-55654

I propose Allegorithmic offer funding to help QT developers fix this long-standing destructive issue, as it seems QT needs direct incentive to address this.

You can see in the attached screenshot that the UI becomes badly cluttered when running at 200% (the only scaling mode available due to this bug).

I know Epic Games did a similar thing,…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Change imported resources settings

Hey! Please add possibility to change resource settings after importing. Maybe like reimport option. What's the problem? After importing I have no way to change tags, move, rename or delete resource. For example I could rename smart material, or delete it. So why I Couldn't do this for other resources? It's confusing. Thanks! =)

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. A new "Use materials (mat IDs) to generate" option which would give you two choices:

A new "Use materials to generate" option which would give you two choices:
    1, "Texture sets" which would work exactly as it does now. Imported polygon material IDs would be used to separate single object into multiple texture sets. Which mostly does not make sense, but someone may still need it.
    2, "Masking IDs" which would use the imported polygon material IDs to bake ID mask texture, and then would import each object inside the file as a single texture set with already generated ID mask texture. The ID option in the Baking window would then be unchecked by default…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Layer Comps and Layer Comps To Files

in which you can save the combinations of layers' visibility like Photoshop's.
    Photoshop also can automatically export files using list of " Layer Comps ".
    ( Photoshop menu is "File > Export > Layer Comps To Files" )

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Add dual card render support pls

I am now using a dual RX480 rig and I have to say the Substance Painter runs fluently at most time. The view point is gorgeous when applying generator or new layers. However the lag comes to be really obvious when I need to paint on masks, especially projects with multiple layers. I wonder if you could add support for SLI and crossfire when painting on the view point.
    Thanks for any help!

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Custom Shortcuts.

I'm not sure, but it seems like Substance Painter's shortcut list is hard coded. It would be so nice to append a new shortcut for a plugin or UI action that is not already listed in the menu. Also, does SP kick out a shortcuts configuration file anywhere?

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Allow retro saving

It would be nice to be allowed to save in older versions of Substance Painter.
    I have a Steam license and there is no easy way to stop it from updating without my consent.
    It's cool to always have the latest version of the software but when I send my files, people often have troubles opening them because they are stuck with an older one.

Thanks for your hard work, I hope my voice will be heard !

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Bottom Light

Something I often run in to when I'm texturing characters in Painter is that it's really hard to get enough light on the bottoms of feet and the palms of hands (in a t-pose), because the only lighting available is environment lighting, and the ground in all of the environment captures acts like a light occluder. An optional "bottom light" with some basic functions like intensity and color would be welcome.

18 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Select face loop option on the Fill Mode

It would be SUPER HANDY if there was an option to select face loops on the Fill Mode to create mask along the loops very quickly. Besides, it could have the option to grow the selection to make it even better.

11 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Outliner / Isolate specific parts of the object

It would be great if we could have something similar to Maya's outliner so that we could select and isolate specific geometries that are in the same texture set.

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Turn back us old Baking Lighting Environment!

New version absolutly ugly and useless! Why you did it???

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Layer's folder in archive

I think it would be greate to make some folders like Archives, with no update feature. Something like render all folder content into a single texture and turn off all others below.

Archive could be get back to usable mode if user needs to make changes.

It makes work easer for big documents with tons of layers. Maybe this feature could be added to SmartMaterials, I mean use smart material like the archive.

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Play a sound when done exporting

I've been exporting 4K textures for the first time, they take a couple of minutes to export, which I do not expend looking at the progress bar, and it doesn't show on windows "peak" because it doesn't create it as a new window.

Something I'm missing, maybe simple to implement, that would help ux, is to play a alert sound when exporting is done, similar to what is done in editing software like Premiere or After Effects.

6 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. 1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. USD support

https://graphics.pixar.com/usd/docs/index.html

Including animated samples (alembic) to check/paint the look on different frames (that would require simple timeline too).

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Mirror-symmetric capture function suggestion

It is recommended to add the vertex capture function to move the mirror axis to achieve local symmetry. It is better if you can add the symmetry axis to rotate at an angle.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Please allow for an option to set the texture size for all UDIMs at once

Right now, if I have a scene with around 10-12 UDIMs, I have to go into each and manually increase/decrease the texture size which affects the performance in a huge way.

Can we please have a button which lets us select a texture size (eg 512) and apply it across all the UDIMs.

Thanks!

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Multiple 3D Views

I'd like a viewport mode that adds a 3D/3D mode in addition to the existing 3D/2D.

I have an ultrawide 3840x1600 monitor, and there's a lot of wasted horizontal space when using Substance Painted maximized. I'd love to be able to view the front and back of my mesh in 3D mode at the same time.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Substance Painter

Feedback and Knowledge Base