Substance Painter

Let us know how to improve Substance Painter!
Some guidelines before posting:
- This place is dedicated to feature requests and/new ideas suggestions. It is not made for bug reports (you can use the forum or the bug reporters for this).
- Before to create a new ticket, make sure your idea hadn’t been suggested before (if so it’s better to upvote it)
- 1 post = 1 idea

Thanks

How can we improve Substance Painter?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. [插件 - resources-updater] No project open, resources updater discarded

[插件 - resources-updater] No project open, resources updater discarded

1 vote
    Sign in Sign in with All Right Reserved
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Export\Import 'export textures configs'

Hey! Today I was setupping new workplace, transfer all my materials, brushes etc, but then I realise that Substace don't have export\import options for export presets (UE4, Unity 5 etc). I should to create all of my custom presets by hands T_T

Add possibility to export and then import `Export presets` for transfering it between computers. It's good for pipelines too!

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. double sided display

I am working on low poly clothing assets for Massive agents. Of necessity things like a collar are single sided polys. I have to use my imagination as I can't see both sides.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. "Add effect layer"

Painter seems to support non-layer filters through a sort of hack by automatically creating a passthrough layer and applying the filter to that when we drag a filter from the shelf to a point in between layers on the layer stack.

Why not give us a simple "filter layer"? Everything would work as it currently does with passthrough layers, but they would appear as a simple, isolated effect layer, rather than as a layer with a filter applied to it, which makes it somewhat confusing at first glance.

In addition, we need a command and button to create this filter…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Palette window proposal (With image example)

Hi.

I'm missing some important color palette functions in Substance Painter. Additionally I would like to have my palette always open to pick colors from.

I think my attached proposal is self explaining. My layout is not perfect, but helps to understand what I would like to have in the future.

Thank you
    Chris

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Add more lights to the Baked lights filter

It would be great to have the chance to add more lights to the baked light Stylized filter to cover the whole area

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Zbrush like masking like mask by cavity and mask by peaks and valleys with Normal map included

For instance when we have a sculpted normal map of a brick wall but the bricks are not that clear cut out of the wall because of erosion and whatnot but we still want to select the extruded parts or the valleys and give them different materials. So being able to generate that mask inside the painter can help.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Auto Refresh between Designer & Painter

Painter should automatically refresh materials, filters, etc, that are being re-published from Designer.

If a user is overwriting a resource with Designer that is in use in Painter, there is virtually no other action they would want to take. Why not make it happen for them? Currently, we have to delete instances and shut down the entire Painter program to refresh shelf resources. Really painful.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Keep original pivot point translation in gltf export

Keep original pivot point translation from the FBX in gltf export. Now the pivot point is reset to the center of the model, models that require a pivot point on a different location will have to be adjusted after gltf conversion.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. 1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Brush angle snapping hotkey

Rotate brush to 0, 45, 90 or custom degrees.

Useful when stamping alphas without eyeballing orthogonality.

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Enumerate the settings that are conflicting in the log rather than the generic "[Shortcut settings] Conflicts have been detected...

The log currently says "[Shortcut settings] Conflicts have been detected in your shortcut settings.Please consult your settings to solve the issue." This is a default install.

It would help if we could read which settings are conflicting in the shortcuts in the log, instead of this generic message.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Lock Viewport navigation while rendering with Iray

Accidentally moved my mouse while rendering with Iray. As a result, the render started all over again! This would be disastrous if rendering an image for several hours, only to have it completely lost in a split second. The option to lock all viewport navigation (translation, rotation, and panning) while rendering with Iray would be an extremely welcome feature. Thanks!

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Overwork the export configuration UI

Dear Allegorithmics,
    This is an ode to your export textures UI.

When I switch to exporting my textures, painter presents me this tiny dropdown choice to pick my configuration. There might be around 50.. but the dropdown will only show 9, no matter how very much space there is on my screen. Typing in the first letter, won't work either.. ok, so I scroll down to find my configuration. But mhmmm.. I don't get any information on what is plugged in where.. ok that is over there in the configuration.. so i go over there to check..and oh... here i…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Apply Mask

Please add a way to apply layer masks. Since a Quick Mask currently does not support undo (and can be accidentally cleared), creating a layer mask (which offers more control and supports undo / redo) and then applying it would be a more intuitive way to work. Thanks!

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Solo channel of a layer by Ctrl+Click (Substance Painter)

When creating a new Fill layer that you want to influence only one channel you need to deselect all others manually and its very repetitive if you are building a big project with a lot of channels.
    A simple Ctrl+Click can deselect all other channels automatically will speed up the my work considerably. Is anyone else needing this feature?

6 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Advanced custom navigation (Zbursh users/Wacom users that don't have 3d pen/extra buttons to spare)

I'm a former Zbrush user, I love substance painter but I hate the navigation controls its too restrictive I have a wacom pen with two side buttons

It may benefit some users if it were possible to map object rotation to just the left click (optional) when the user is click-dragging out side of the objects/the empty space

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Headlight from camera

Sometimes you're not able to see your model well because of lighting, for example from bottom. Or you should rotate panorama each time you change your view. It's tiresome.
    What if we had a headlight option to see our material behavior independently of our view position. Or maybe panorama rotation linked to camera's -the same effect.

17 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Add ability to load a template per texture set.

I am working on a new character that uses UDIMs and I want to have some of the UDIMs be a different setup. Example, I have a character that uses some user settings for a skin shader in Modo, but now I want to switch to a different setup. I would love the ability to change my channel sets and the textures on the fly...

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Set a given parameter for all selected layers.

I would mostly just use this to toggle triplanar off/on for all selected layers and their sub-layers or generators.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Substance Painter

Feedback and Knowledge Base