Substance Painter

Let us know how to improve Substance Painter!
Some guidelines before posting:
- This place is dedicated to feature requests and/new ideas suggestions. It is not made for bug reports (you can use the forum or the bug reporters for this).
- Before to create a new ticket, make sure your idea hadn’t been suggested before (if so it’s better to upvote it)
- 1 post = 1 idea

Thanks

How can we improve Substance Painter?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Lock Transparency

It would be nice, especially now that Adobe is there, if there was an ability to lock layers properties such as transparency like in Photoshop. I have found that sometimes I want to paint over something I have previously painted but not want to run over the area that was already painted. I know we can create masks for this but I feel that locking layer properties would make this easier and faster.

1 vote
    Sign in Sign in with All Right Reserved
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Up and down arrow to cycle through SBSAR presets

Pressing up or down when you have the preset dropdown active on a Material or Filter to cycle through presets - like how you can do it on layer blending modes.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Problems resources

I have a problem with the last version (2019) and I usually work in other version but I buy the license indie and install the new version and now i can work in subtances because the uv's move the plece when rote the model. So please, fix the problem. And help the custumers with this kind the mistakes

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Quick Dock for most used brushes and materials

It would be nice if Painter could get a small "Quick Bar" where there could an anchor-able space where we can assign (via drag-n-drop) brushes, particles, materials, etc. So if there's a back and forth between different brushes or materials someone could quickly select instead of having to go through the categories in the shelf each time they switch between the categories. It would speed up workflows.

It can be set up to be saved per project or by default.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. UV transformations available for brush's material

Be able to resize UV of a material in the brush without having to resize the brush itself.
    Make the uv material "independent" from the brush size

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Multiple Axis Symmetry

The ability to enable multiple axis symmetry is an essential part of texturing hard surface assets. Substance's own tutorial demonstrates why this is needed: https://youtu.be/n5_bwLc3oYU?t=190 Without multi-axis symmetry, twice as much work is required. I believe there is lots of community support for this idea already, but all those previous feature requests were hard or soft declined due to multiple ideas in the same post. Thanks so much for your consideration. :-)

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Ability to add filters to folders

Would be great to be able to use filters on folders. For example, I have a complex decal already built and all its components live on a folder, for some reason I want to move to translate it around the model so I just want to do it quickly instead of going to all my layers of materials. Would be a great time saver.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. "Clear Mask" should not remove the effects stack - rather only the hand-painted part

The "clear mask" option doesn't make much sense currently - there is nearly no use case for it. It removes the content, and the effects stack on the mask.
    If the users should ever want this, they could simply use "remove mask" and add a new one.

But in most workflows you rather have a complex effects stack, and some hand painted strokes on top of it. So once you update the mesh (or exchange it completely) you would want to remove the paint strokes, but keep the effects stack.

Right now there are only unpractical workarounds for this. One…

26 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Filters renaming

Hey guys! Add ability to rename all filters (not only Paint one). Just a case... I have few blur filters on a layer, each of them for the specific channel (albedo, rough etc), but all of them named like Blur, Blur, Blur... not very informative. And it could be useful for any filters. just make it generic, if you could rename one of them, make it for all other too!

p.s. I think it's a good idea to add Rename option to context menu.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Render iRay lightmap 2DView

Hello,
    It will be fine if it's possible to export texture with lighting and shadowing from iRay rendering !

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Add the option for enabling/disabling backface culling

Add the option for enabling/disabling backface culling when painting in the 3D view

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Allow materials on shelf to be renamed

SBSAR materials cannot be renamed on the shelf - they are "locked" to whatever was placed into the Substance Archive at export time.

However, many material creators (even ones available for sale commercially) leave default names in their archives - for example, underscores instead of spaces.

I'd like to be able to rename them to clean up my shelf.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. 2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Histogram in Painter

It would be awesome to be able to show the Histogram of the image or selected layer. Possible in Designer (2D View), but not in Painter..

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Stencil invert

I would like to request the ability to invert the stencil. (not the brush color). Right now i have duplicate the maps and invert them in another package.

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Option to ignore UV errors upon import (maybe flag them also)

I work in a big VFX studios and many times, deadlines and exchange of geometry across studios, force you not to always have 2000 uv perfect shells.
    Sometimes we would be happy to ignore a few overlapping borders for example.

Please allow us to import models by ignoring UV errors so to speed up execution and production.

Thanks

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Show in the viewport which texture you are working on.

With a lot of texture set/udims, you can loose track on which texture set you are currently on. Show it on the viewport to keep track of it.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. One Click Automatic Unwrap like 3dsmax "Flatten Mapping"

Many low importance objects and even many hard surface ones do not require any special unwrapping. One click auto unwrap like 3dsmax "Flatten Mapping" is exactly what they need and would save a lot of time.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Manually erase parts of a Smart Mask

When I have a Smart mask applied to a material, I can't manually erase away parts of the mask with the brush eraser... It'd be great to be able to use the smart mask as a starting point, then chip away at specific areas where the smart mask isn't wanted.

(e.g., I have a moss material with a "moss" smart mask applied to my black mask, I feel there is too much moss covering my mesh now, so I grab my eraser/brush and erase away parts of the moss manually.)

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Add option for turning dithering on or off when exporting textures

In earlier versions of painter there was no dithering and in newer versions it is enforced on export.

On some flat mirror-like surfaces when exporting 8-bit textures the dithering makes the surface look dirty or almost frosted instead of super shiny and clean, especially from the normal map.

If there was an simple checkbox option to choose when to use dithering on the exports it would help a lot for those types of models.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Substance Painter

Feedback and Knowledge Base