Substance Painter

Let us know how to improve Substance Painter!
Some guidelines before posting:
- This place is dedicated to feature requests and/new ideas suggestions. It is not made for bug reports (you can use the forum or the bug reporters for this).
- Before to create a new ticket, make sure your idea hadn’t been suggested before (if so it’s better to upvote it)
- 1 post = 1 idea

Thanks

1. environment variable support

Trying to set up environments for Painter in film studios is currently a laborious process.

Allowing us to set environment variables which point to project specific shelves and plugins, defined by our virtual environment, would be a huge benefit to the film industry.

9 votes
    Sign in Sign in with All Right Reserved
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Solo view lighting

Currently there is either default non shaded solo view of channels or there is basic option to have some kind of shading to black ambient. Both are limited. Id like some additional options there to have solo view with lighting and tone mapping working. Something like basic view in Mari. So i can see fully shaded and tone mapped diffuse channel (maybe even with AO added) without the annoyance of specular and bump.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Global brush size (as an option).

Would be nice to have brushes to adjust their size to the current one when switching between them like it is in Zbrush. I noticed that if I want to paint big details I want all brushes big, same with small and it is a hassle to keep resizing brushes with every brush switch. Of course something like this should be an option rather than forced.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Custom colors for UI frames and text.

All that black and white look may be fancy but is hard to use. I like clear colors for menus, submenus, frame borders etc so it is easier to navigate visually. Especially different colors for different text.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Tone mapping in 2d view

An option to have tone mapping work in 2d shaded view please.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Brush stroke opacity pressure.

When I paint with 30% hand pressure I expect the color of a brush to level around this value. Within same stroke if I increase hand pressure to 60% thats what the brush is supposed to paint with. If I decide within same stroke to drop hand pressure down to 10% I expect brush to drop to that value and paint at that color level. That is how all other software behaves. Instead we have some awful permanent additive mode that keeps building up and up through flow. It is unusable. People ask for this for years. I do not…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. More controls for HDRI Environments

It would be great to be able to set apply a HSL filter to the environments. This way we could easily modify the color hue of the environment, make it greyscale if we don't want any colors to affect the textures, and so on.Also would be cool to apply a Blur filter if we want to make the environment reflections on the model softer, and why not let us rotate the environment also verticaly.
    These features are super handy for people who use the bake environment lighting filter.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. color mixing

hello

as we can do in real world mix wet colors with brush and make a new color and fade a color range . if you can add a brush or a wet layer or paint effect to painter can mix colors together , we can paint more realistic and do better in hand painting :)

Thanks

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Non-square UV texturing (2048x1024)

If you create a texture in a non square format (for example 2048x1024), the 2D/UV viewport should reflect the chosen aspect ratio.

PS! I'm sure it is already on the developer's radar. It has been suggested before but the moderator requested a separate post because the original post asked for two different features.

https://allegorithmic.uservoice.com/forums/261284-substance-painter/suggestions/19688869-non-square-uv-texturing-2048x1024-multiple-uv

21 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Install multiple version of Substance Painter through Substance Launcher

In Unreal you can install multiple versions of Unreal Engine. I would like the same function for Substance Launcher. The reason for this is many of us for sure works with difference clients. More often than not they have preference as to which version of SP to use. So having to install different version and build will give us flexibility.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Multiple "Texture Sets" with (Focus Mode)

Make the Selected "Texture Sets" on Focus Mode available.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Show the Texture Set selected on a long "Texture Set List"

Because when the list is long and you "Ctrl+Alt+righ click" on a texture set on viewport the list dose not show which Texture Set is selected and you need to go down to see.

And please make the selected Texture Set name always on the top too

Show the Texture Set selected on a long "Texture Set List"

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Wood Floor Materials Needed

For us, architects/3D buildings creators, we miss a lot of wood materials for floors. The tiling options available are too poor compared to other materials offered such as for vehicles or sci-fi. I have been having to get seamless textures from Adobe Stock and work them out in Alchemist to be able to have some sort of variation, but without knowing Designer, for example, it's very hard to get something realistic. Nice planks, different wood patterns with less veins, control over roughness, we really really need more of that.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Remember most recent directory for texture export

When creating a new project and adding an .fbx file, the Open dialog starts in the most recent directory where an .fbx file was loaded from. (Which is very convenient, and greatly appreciated!)

Likewise, when saving the project as an .spp file, the Save dialog starts in the most recent directory where a project was saved. (Similarly convenient!)

However, when exporting textures, it always defaults to the user's "Documents/Allegorithmic/Substance Painter/export" directory, regardless of where textures were last exported to... which is a lot less convenient.

6 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Quick Dock for most used brushes and materials

It would be nice if Painter could get a small "Quick Bar" where there could an anchor-able space where we can assign (via drag-n-drop) brushes, particles, materials, etc. So if there's a back and forth between different brushes or materials someone could quickly select instead of having to go through the categories in the shelf each time they switch between the categories. It would speed up workflows.

It can be set up to be saved per project or by default.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Allow ID maps to be baked in Linear Space as opposed to SRGB

In order to make material colors from 3d editor and baked maps consistent.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Support UNC paths (huge for working from servers)

Substance Painter only works on mapped drives. We can't import or export to UNC network paths and it's very frustrating. I hope this is an easy fix and gets solved soon.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Add more Hotkey possibilities

So, one thing I use a lot is the following order for many layers:

Add Black Mask > Add Fill > Drag a particular texture, be it baked or procedural onto the fill

Maybe the addition of more hotkey possibilities could make this process faster, adding a black mask and adding a fill or paint into it wouldn't take 3 to 5 seconds anymore.

This idea can expand to many other features and adding a hotkey integration to more things could help users into adapting their workflow into the software.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. UI headers in different colour(s)

hi , im fairly new to painter but been in 3d CG industry for over 15 years, I love the program !

when navigating the UI , lets take the "Properties" window for example, the heading and sub headings aren't easy to differentiate from the actual settings / adjustments below, if there are a few drop down items open there's a long list of items all blending together and its not clear where one group of setting end and another begin.. it be so much easier if the headings and even sub-headings had a different colour..

If this could be…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Invert gloss/rough map

Invert a gloss ou rough texture map uploaded to Substance Painter. Maybe I doing it wrong, but nowadays when I have a roughness map and need a glossness map, I open it in Photoshop, do ctrl+I and upload it to Substance Painter.

Is not difficult to me to do that, but would be perfect to do that on Painter only clicking in one button.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Substance Painter

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base