Substance Painter

Let us know how to improve Substance Painter!
Some guidelines before posting:
- This place is dedicated to feature requests and/new ideas suggestions. It is not made for bug reports (you can use the forum or the bug reporters for this).
- Before to create a new ticket, make sure your idea hadn’t been suggested before (if so it’s better to upvote it)
- 1 post = 1 idea

Thanks

1. Add a preview image in the cursor for clone stamp

SP2 doesn't have a "preview" for the clone stamp's source inside the cursor, like photoshop does, and once you've click to begin cloning then the source is always relevant to your cursor. What that means is that if I click to begin the cloning and find out a something is not perfectly aligned, I have to reselect my source and try again.

Cutting down on the back and forth could go a long way toward speeding up clone stamp and really help Substance stand out as a Photogrammetry tool.

2 votes
    Sign in Sign in with All Right Reserved
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Plugins in a custom location

Ability to put plugins in a custom location.

It would be incredibly useful for people using source control (like P4), to have the ability to put plugins in a custom location, so they can share it across workspaces. Right now, the problem can be solved with symbolic links, but that's messy and creates a whole mess of potential issues that could be circumvented if the shared location could be referenced directly.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

backlog  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Set Min and Max value to UV Offset for precise positioning

Positioning precisely a tiling texture is a tedious operation as UV Scale and UV Offsets go from 0 to 128. It would be much easier if we could define a minimal and maximal position so that the slider doesn't cover such a wide range of values. In Substance Designer a slider covers a default value that we can change to a higher number if necessary, The same in Painter would be very convenient.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. VR HMD Previews or painting - HTC Vive iRay Viewport Painting

It would be great if we could paint in a 3d viewport in an HMD like the Vive. See our object Using iRay and paint using one controller for rotation and the other for the brush.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Paint flow map (drives anisotropy for specular reflections).

Flow maps (also cold comb maps when used for in-game hair) are vector maps that are mainly used for animated shaders (flowing hot lava) or to drive the anisotropy effect of specular reflections for hairs.

Currently there is no perfect solution for painting flowmaps. Mari by far has the best implementation of a vector tool, but having to buy Mari just for this is not convenient.

Here is a video of how to "hack" paint a flow map using 2d painting software like photoshop, painshop pro or krita:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9KRnh3cROw

The shown technique is far away from perfect.

9 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Autonomous Render/Load Thumbnails In Shelf

I'd like for the thumbnails in the shelf to load/generate without one having to select the category or having to scroll down to get them all generated.

For example, launch Painter, go get coffee, all thumbnails are generated.

As it is now, one can let it sit there and it will not generate thumbnails beyond the ones currently visible in the shelf.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. improve the features of the bake lighting with environment node

It would be great to be able to add additional lights in the bake lighting with environment node.
    Defining the shape and blurriness of the lights would be a very handy feature, too.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Brush spacing preview or arrange tool

Hi there,

Here's my idea:

Like the patterns in the picture below, I want to paint a row of them(by holding ctrl+shift ),and leave about the same space on both sides.
    So before painting,I need to know exactly how they're gonna be arranged on the surface by the spacing value I set on brush.
    But for now I have to paint and undo, again and again until I get the result I want. :(

So it would be nice to add a preview of it in main view, maybe a toggle on tool menu or something.
    Or perhaps a new…

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Use a sbsar as a Painter pre-export process

The ability to add an sbsar as an export processor step on export from substance painter

Example: Drop a sbsar into a painter export template that adjusts levels of an output texture on export.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Substance Painter scene organizer aka ''Outliner"

Would be great to add new or additional geo into painter scene. And abilitiy to reload selected part of geo. As in Marmoset.
    Also possibility to import a camera. And ability to freeze the camera position.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Multi-touch screen support

With the wide use of graphics tablets and touch screens as a Cintiq and Surface as a pro tool, be able to navigate (move the camera) with a touch system as already does Mudbox, should be a standard.

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. the idea for the convenient use of "shelf"

Good afternoon! I work in your package, and I like it, but as the work I had some ideas at the expense of "shelf" and I would like them to sound. Why not make a separate button on the top of the "shelf", what would it be able to press and it opens it up to full screen. But then, when you choose the right mask, for example, and takes the mouse cursor to the area of ​​"shelf", it automatically disappears. And to make a hotkey for "shelf", what would it be able to press, hold, hover over what you…

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. white.witch10@yahoo.com

Hi, I was wondering can you ask the developers to make sewing easier, for example make a selection tool to wrap around the object in 2D mode, that way this will make sewing easier and faster, and giving a perfect sew every time, and still keeping sewing hands free for not so perfect sewing? I left some picture examples in a ZIP file
    thank you for your time

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. 6 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Antialiasing settings by additionnal map

It would be nice to have different settings of antialiasing by additionnal maps :

for exemple :
    ID (no antialiasing)
    Normals, curvature,position (8x supersampling)
    AO and Thickness (2x supersampling)

It would be really appreciated.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Name of Exported Textures

Control over how the exported textures are named.

In many case, we use the same mesh multiple time to bake decals or tillable textures. Which means the exported textures are always named the same based on the mesh name.

In this case, the texture should be named from the painter solution, not the mesh or the material slot.

Decal1_Albedo
    Decal1_Metal
    Decal1_Normal

Tillable_Albedo
    etc.

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. 2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Allowing the MG Mask Editor to access procedural's images features.

Currently, the MG Mask Editor is one really powerful and versatile tool, but it's lacking one major important feature : Accessing the Procedural images full features when inserted into the Image Inputs slots.

What's good at using procedural images in the MG Mask Editor if we can't even modify, for example, the amount of lines, direction or forms from the procedural image? It also need the ability to adjust the image content in a similar manner as the Fill layer with UV Scale, UV Offset, UV Rotation, etc.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Controls over Bitmap Mask

We should be able to rotate or scale a bitmap mask. Currently, they have no control at all, and may end up wrong, which mean going back in Photoshop to fix them.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

backlog  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Node Based Brush engine

More of an idea, that I wish painting softwares would support: Why not have the brush settings in a node based system?
    That would be way way more flexible than having just some pre-defined sliders. Allegorithmic is probably the company that will understand this best - and has the experience to pull it off.
    It would sole tons of user requests here that ask for more brush options.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Substance Painter

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base