Substance Painter

Let us know how to improve Substance Painter!
Some guidelines before posting:
- This place is dedicated to feature requests and/new ideas suggestions. It is not made for bug reports (you can use the forum or the bug reporters for this).
- Before to create a new ticket, make sure your idea hadn’t been suggested before (if so it’s better to upvote it)
- 1 post = 1 idea

Thanks

How can we improve Substance Painter?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Smart Material Parameter Attribute Holder

It would be nice for smart materials (and to a lesser extent smart masks) to be able to expose parameters from the sub-layers and place those in the top level folder for the smart material itself. This would allow the developer of the material to mark key parameters for adjustment and the users of the material to avoid diving through the layers to make simple adjustments.

I envision it working similar to how it does in Substance Designer. Just have a little expose button that would expose a parameter to a selected parent folder.

I love smart materials and they…

3 votes
    Sign in Sign in with All Right Reserved
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Option to always import to project '***'

Add a option to always import to project '***', when drag&drop texture without popup import window. Just the same way that painter1 works.

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. External References for Base maps to decrease filesize

With 4k texturing the file size increases rapidly to 1GB. Saving multiple versions uses unnecessary disk space because the base maps are saved every time (but remain the same). There really should be an option to link the externally imported or locally baked base maps: NM, Albedo, ColorID ZDepth, AO on the disk. This does not have to be the default setting, and may even include a warning. But the option should be there if you know what you are doing!

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

backlog  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Fill effect as mask + Material mode only support basecolor output

The Fill effect (as Add effect) in mask slot doesn't support different outputs (but only a basecolor) if you use material in grayscale input. Say I want the default Conrete Clean material to be masked out by its height channel via placing it additionaly in mask\fill effect\grayscale slot. It is important to have it that way, because of UV scale\offset\rotation parameters which are avalable in fill effect. If you try to use material in Mask builder you will only have scale adjustment which is not enough.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Fill Layer Levels Property

It would be extremely useful if there was a levels graph by default on fill layers that affect only that fill and not part of the stack. Similar to how procedural grunge maps have properties that define them. Very often i use levels to affect a custom grunge map as fill in a mask. The problem is that any Generators/Paints/Other fills etc below that layer in the stack also get affected by that levels filter. As you can imagine this not desirable. There are works arounds using separate groups but this is very cumbersome.

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Designer/Photoshop Style Overlay Layer Blending (sRGB)

By default, Painter's overlay layer blending mode uses linear computation. Having an option to use sRGB Overlay, like that found in Designer and Photoshop would be of great help to those of us trying to work on stylized textures in Painter due to the unique way it blends.

9 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

backlog  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Color Picker for Roughness/Height/Metal/Normal/AO

Color picker when painting rough/height/metal/normal/AO channels instead of slider only.
    It would be great to be able to pick the information seen in 3d viewport instead of always having to guess which float it could be that fits a certain greyscale/red/green/blue on the model, jus as it is possible with the basecolor information.
    This is what I´d like to be able to do: lets say I am looking at roughness or height channel. I want to pick a certain greyscale or red/green tone which i can see in my viewport to fit a certain roughness or height on a certain…

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Mouse and keyboard shortcut sets for Maya, MODO, Blender & Max

To make it easier for users of Maya, MODO, Blender & Max, in SP preferences have an option to switch between different mouse navigation and keyboard shortcut configurations that match those in the above mentioned 3D programs.

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Enhanced viewports and imported animated cameras including scan data cameras.

enhanced viewports and imported animated cameras including scan data cameras. I want to see my model in Front, Left, Top, Orthographic etc.
    - Render turntables from Substance Painter. This would be awesome for reviewing models. Ideally I could render a turn table with multiple passes from an imported camera view.
    -I should able to set the camera focal length and DOF etc.

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Height Map Factor controls

Height Map Factor control: Currently many of the bushes use Normal Factors so when you paint with Particle brush and the like you brush recognizes the differences in elevation. This however ONLY works if you import a normal. This means any of the new normal information you have created under Height map setting is not taken into account. It would be great to have a checkbox or a HeightFactor control. Currently the only way to fix this is to export your updated height map information, then reimport it and us this as your additional map. Then repeat the process as…

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Using a custom piece of geometry as a brush.

Imagine dragging a boulder across the surface of a tank or car. The brush (Custom geometry piece) would only affect the more exposed area of the model.
    Taking it further it would cool if I could simulate the dropping of objects on my model or dropping my model (That I'm painting on) on a rocky ground damaging it only in the very specific areas it touches the ground. II could simulate dropping a gun multiple times add damage and wear.
    Ultimately this would be an extension of the particle brush system.

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Multiple Objects and Texture sets in Exploded View or a viewport transform gizmo to move objects around!

It would add to another level of control and Isolation and ability to tweak models after importing and during texturing!

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Pressure sensitivity support for iPad Pro and astropad

You can connect your iPad to your computer and use it as a graphics tablet similar to the Cintiq with an iOS app called "Astropad". With the new iPad Pro in combination with the apple pencil you now have pressure sensitivity, which the new version of astropad supports. The only desktop software i know that takes advantage of this pressure sensitivity being stream over is Adobe photoshop and blender. Can you look into adding support for this so we can paint with our iPad Pros and apple pencils! :)

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Copy image/layer/maps to Clipboard, open file location in explorer.

To quickly look at maps closer in Photoshop, quickly make changes to maps or masks.

In Unity, I can right+click the texture I want to edit, choose open file and it automatically opens photoshop, I can make a couple edits, hit Ctrl+S and then go ahead and check the changes in Unity.

I would love to have that ability with maps and images in Substance Painter

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Normal-map/Height-map hardsurface edges generation.

Select edges of a low-poly mesh and turn them hard or smooth withing substance painter and generate a normal map/height map for it. Adjust how smooth or hard an edge can be.

Basically no more high poly modeling for nice edges.
    I know its a bit of an crazy idea, but thought i should throw it out here.

23 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. the middle button to scroll all windows. it is very necessary for the pen without wheels.

(sorry my English) Substance is not enough for the scrolling window to the middle mouse button (especially the pen without wheels). I really like the way scrolling is implemented in Blender. How it works: Place your cursor anywhere in the scrollable window and click the middle mouse button, you can then move the mouse / stylus up or down. You do not have to aim the scroll bar. This is very convenient especially if you work without a stylus wheel, it adds speed to use.

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Export screen to PSD

Capture and export the screen (either at screen resolution, or higher) to Photoshop for editing. Mudbox has this feature, and aside from being useful for projection painting (since you use Photoshop's entire tool set, such as its warping tools ), it's an easy way to fix seams. The affected area is captured, then cleaned up in PS using the heal brush or clone stamp. Once the document is saved, Mudbox re-projects. I'd even settle for this working in just the solo view modes. Here's Mudbox as an example : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxoGn1qPhYA Thanks for reading.

10 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Enable/Disable Auto-Sourcing (Updating Files in the Shelf Live to Painter)

It looks like this was mentioned in a more specific sense detailing automatically refreshing bitmaps when they are modified instead of having to drag and drop them back in, but a feature like this would be extremely useful for every tab in Painter (Alphas, Procedurals, Brushes, Materials, Smart Materials, etc.) so that we don't have to relaunch painter anytime we put files inside of our shelf folder. For example, if I make several custom alphas and put them in the alphas folder within my shelf folder for Painter WHILE Painter is up and running, I have to relaunch painter for…

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. vmt/vtf/texture export option for valve source

It's a less popular engine which doesn't support PBR but a few tweaks to shader settings can get you pretty close.
    Currently I go into photoshop to tweak the exported specular texture and then combine normal and specular maps ( on normal map's alpha channel). Then finally save it out as a VMT.
    I'd love to press export and get the diffuse, normal/specular textures in .vtf format plus a vmt text file that reflects the tweaks to the shader inside Painter.
    Many thanks.

6 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Node system for layer composition

Node system for layer composition (the same node system of substance designer BUT for layer composition) for better visualization and keep more organized

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Substance Painter

Feedback and Knowledge Base