How can we improve Substance Painter?

Improve readability of layer stack by indentation and colorization

Added indentations of child layers and folders and additional colorization of a folder and its children should help improving the readability of layer stacks.
Please see this thread for more detailed information:
https://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php?topic=2935.msg13621#msg13621

60 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

msperling shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

12 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • cflynn8081 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Colorization is here? Can you please explain?

If all you did was add colorization....is that just as unproductive and tedious as it is now?

In SP2, there were no colors...but the layer stacks were indented...and automatically organized in a very distinguished fashion.

Please just add the same way the SP2 layer stack was designed.

• robert.okker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

ohh pleae, i'm always strugling to read the layer stack.
    Even simple greyscale distingtions between groups would allready be a warm welcom.
    but better being able to color code it ourselfs.

• arash_seyedi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please correct the way that sub-group layers are shown versus single layers and collapsed groups, it's very hard to differentiate as there is no dent to the sub-group layers
    Thanks

• snake3y3s commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

allowing customizable colorization like in Photoshop is a must and helps immensely for organization purposes

• mpol-about-fun commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have this issue since the 2018 version - I think the content of a group should be indented a bit more than it is currently - it really merges when I have a few groups opened right after each other - the folder icon isn't enough

• zenja05 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I really, really wish that i could colors layers & folders like in Photoshop. Usually i have a lot of stuff going on, it would save some time for me and other employees to find right layer & folder.

• seneca.menard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

hmm. maybe the coloring should be automatic? in bitwig (a music sequencing program), every track gets it's own color and the same would be great for substance painter. all root layers and root groups should get their own rainbow sequenced colors and of course, you can manually reassign any of them to whatever color you want. this way you get all the visual organization without having to do any manual work. http://ohdratdigital.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/bitwig-studio-screenshot.png

• stilobique commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The smart material are very good thing, but complicate to read ; a best indentation and colorization can be better for this feature.

• masterstange commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i made a similar request some time back. Only to find out now that it wasnt posted. (I have to submit twice for it to work?) But i absolutely would love to see this too +1

Feedback and Knowledge Base