How can we improve Substance Painter?

Height map baker

Currently a height map baker is not supported in Substance Painter because they figure it has little to no use. I disagree.

Using a height map in combination with advanced particle brushes and mask generators can enable some advanced effects. One use case is curvature map directional extension, enabling more accurate dust accumulation in wide indents.

47 votes
Sign in Sign in with All Right Reserved
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Elecman shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

12 comments

Sign in Sign in with All Right Reserved
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Ruflse commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I need this so bad instead of having to bake every single displacement in Zbrush, please

• Rodrigo Villani commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In game development I need this with a certain frequency. Be it for Parallax Occlusion or for tessellated Displacement, it would be very useful to bake it right into Painter, instead of having to use Designer or other software just for that.

• creativerendition commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I recently hit this issue. I wanted to quickly import a high res mesh (that I already had created) and bake heightmap to a plane in a new Painter scene so I could quickly create a heightmap stamp to place some awkward details on a casting. My only option was to create a material with a gradient map in Max and UV the gradient onto the high res and then render that out with self illumination in Vray. A bit of a pain. While we might not normally need heightmap baking for end-use textures its a really useful feature for those occasional 'hacky' workflows.

• Jrs2189 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The height map baker in designer definitely should be in painter! VFX studios wouldn't need to bake displacement maps in mudbox/designer and could just use painter!

• kashif.c.riley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would DEFINITELY be a great feature to have especially for texturing models that is suited for visual effects. The last time I was able to bake out a displacement map was long before I started using Substance Designer.

• Vyktori commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Being able to export Roughness, Ambient Occlusion and Height into one texture mask would be great. I figure they must agree, because they designed it to do that. Not having to use multiple other programs and compose the 3 or 4 layers in Gimp would be great. Currently I have been bringing the normal into Designer and creating a heightmap from that, but it is really tedious and takes time/extra steps. Also it does not look very good...
    Half the reason I even bought Substance was for the baker, I like it. Nobody wants to go out of their way to use other programs and have more files to manually merge just to get a result that would fit in perfectly with the rest of Painter. Even if it doesn't display the heightmap, it could have serious uses in and out of Painter. I need it for vertex painting in UE4. Trying to use AO is a poor alternative.

• silpheedx commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes please. This would be awesomeness. Maya's anything texture transfer system is kinda poo.

• michael_11 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

unfortunately I ran out of votes. But adding a height baker to Painter would be very useful. Who would say, that height baker has little to no use?
    I am baking all my maps in Painter, then I bake the height in Designer. That's one unnecessary step, IMO

Feedback and Knowledge Base