How can we improve Substance Painter?

Symmetry center based on object pivot point.

The symmetry system don't work properly when I'm using multiple meshs to bake each part separately. When I am exporting all separate objects together, the Substance Painter create a bounding box covering all objects, but it would be better if the symmetry center was based on a pivot point from one of the separated objects (having the ability to choose which object).

90 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

romularq shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

10 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Crofty commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Pretty disappointed to only just find this out. Wasted a lot of time on a project character with minor facial asymmetrical features, throwing symmetry off my arms off enough to have the masks scrapped.

• 3rton93 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yep, just to clarify, though this should be
    1- toggleable (So world origin or pivot)
    2- Per texture set

Or at least that is what I would like to have.

• To-mos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can we please add this already?! There are posts as far back as 2014 asking for this feature...

• tom_4 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have my object offset after good amount of work. Now, I need symmetry to work and it doesn't because my object is asymmetrical on the arms. Please fix this, I'm about to jump to another program to deal with this and it is annoying.

• pfwgrendel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What? Why would you do this?! I never realized symmetry was based off bounding box. I always thought Painter kept the origin at 0,0,0 like every other 3d program out there. At least add an option for using pivot points or use the 0,0,0 origin. I have a character with asymmetrical hair and the symmetry plane is in her eyeball. I need to paint the hair and face at the same time.

There is a cheat, you can make a centered box mesh to force painter to center your objects, then hide it. But this only works if you start a new scene. Adding a box to an existing file you've already started working in, keeps your meshes off center.

• Hypercube4ds commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any sort offset of symmetry plane would be beneficial in Painter. It should not be model source dependent as it seems to be now.

• masterstange commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+voted
    Additional i like to add that the Symmetry axes could also just orient on the 0.0.0 World coordinates. I often use the bake feature "Match by mesh name" via fbx which is great but my bake lowpoly will already have parts missing that i will mirror later (granted i could already have them active already but yeah)

Feedback and Knowledge Base