How can we improve Substance Painter?

Handpaint textures!!!!!

I love so hard substance painter BUT....still have problems to do handpaint textures like world of warcraft....
The brushes do not behave like in Photoshop or 3Dcoat ....could you guys develop a solution to be more friendly to textures stylized cartoon?

176 votes
Vote
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
ronaldo.guerino shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

15 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • filosoff92 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dear Allegorithmic,
    We all love your soft. All what we want is make it more greater and functional for more users (include us). As i wrote in this tread before - please add a separate palette panel, color picker hotkey (only color, not material), merge layers function and ability to "apply" effects (filters, levels etc.) - last function will also improve performance troubles. Also will be very nice to have color brush smudge/mixing function, for making nice and smooth color mixing.

• chombor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

don't forget about handy color pallet, double clicking for that tiny strip — is madness !

• filosoff92 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Nope, we are still need palette with favorite color/color picker hotkey, merge layers function and ability to "apply" effects (filters, levels etc.)

• SteveJJD commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah would love some kind of Photoshop/Painter engine within substance so you can really get in and do hand painting.

• justin.chow commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed, while I understand that Substance Painter is designed around mainly PBR materials and shaders, it'd be nice to have the capability to create hand painted textures much like 3D Coat. Currently I'm using Photoshop, and it's not as ideal of a solution as Painter or 3D Coat, however for hand painted textures, I'd like to NOT have to buy another 3D Painting package.

• eugene_2 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

how about a zbrush zapplink type feature. where it sets up a projection of the current view to photoshop, and sends the temp PSD file back to painter to be used as a projection stamp.

helps to paint masks since there's a lot of control in photoshop for brushes

• hevonen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The problem for handpainted textures is the limited brush engine of Substance Painter with two very related drawbacks:
    - There is no opacity support, only flow! While flow is fine for mousing around it is very ugly with pressure sensitive tablets. This makes the paint uncontrollable as the pressure data gets pretty much ignored (flow rate != stroke opacity).
    - There is no way to disable accumulation, resulting in very ugly / uncontrollable handpaint result. Proper pressure sensitivity support combines all of the paint dabs inside single continuous stroke so that hardest pressure pixels replace the underlying lower pressure pixels instead of adding to them (accumulation). This makes strokes easily controllable with tablet pressure.

Current implementation is okay for making mostly procedural content where few splashes of paint is added with a click of a mouse. It's very much subpar for making stylized handpainted looks with eg. Wacom tablets. With these fixes (disable accumulation / stroke opacity with pressure) SP would be around three times better for handpainting textures.

This is how Photoshop works, for example.

• rakshaansoogrim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

you can create your own brush in photoshop with an alpha channel. Then import it as an image. Click on the ***** and then change the ***** texture as the alpha image you imported. I think that will work for the time being. But I agree. There should be an easier way to customize brushs than to keep going through that tiring process.

Feedback and Knowledge Base