Substance Painter

Let us know how to improve Substance Painter!
Some guidelines before posting:
- This place is dedicated to feature requests and/new ideas suggestions. It is not made for bug reports (you can use the forum or the bug reporters for this).
- Before to create a new ticket, make sure your idea hadn’t been suggested before (if so it’s better to upvote it)
- 1 post = 1 idea

Thanks

How can we improve Substance Painter?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Bug: Changed mouse shortcuts don't get saved (Linux)

In the Linux version of Substance Painter, mouse shortcuts can be changed, and they work until the session ends, but do not work in the next session.

After exiting the second session, all 19 mouse shortcuts in "~/.config/Allegorithmic/Substance Painter" are set to the value "@Invalid()" even if only one shortcut had been changed.

I suspect the routine that reads them in from the config file isn't parsing them properly. (This issue does not exist in the Windows version of Substance Painter, which keeps the settings in REG_BINARY registry values instead of parsing a text file.)

Recipe for reproduction:

1. Run…

1 vote
    Sign in Sign in with All Right Reserved
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. please help me how to Solve that please check that you have downloads acailable

please help me how to Solve that please check that you have downloads acailable

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. obj

ZBRUSH 導出的obj不能於 substance painter 上使用,畫面是一片漆黑,使得我不敢購買這套軟件 !!!

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. A few ideas

Just wanted to say I love substance painter and it's helped me so much, there's just some things I really want to see pushed and improved upon in new updates.

Allow painting across multiple object UDIM's.
    It would be amazing if you could set up a paint operation that would apply any effects across multiple UV tiles at the same time, say you had an object with 3 tiles, 1001, 1002 and 1003, but wanted a seamless texture painted across all 3, you could set it up to allow that, instead of choosing one then another then another, it currently…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Substance Painter strengths and weaknesses

There are so many things that make Substance Painter great, and still so many holes in technique that things like Photoshop have been doing forever. These are some problems.

1 ) Need to merge Texture Sets
    2 ) Merge selected layers together
    3 ) create a mask so you can isolate part of a model and not accidentally ruin another part (like in Zbrush)
    4 ) isolate part of the model alone, so you can move around it, like again in Zbrush This is a strong feature because without it you can't do things like isolate part of an animal…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Idea List

Idea list

1. Like in Maya when editing a numerical value directly rather than by way of a slider the value remains highlighted after it's edited. Makes for a much faster way of experimenting with different values.

2. Ability to merge layers. I get that this makes it difficult to remain non destructive, but I would be ok with that if I had the option to merge layers. This reduces memory load as well as clutter.

3. Ability to bounce texture to project shelf. Rather than needing to export the texture and re-import.

4. Save Colors/Color Wheel. A color wheel…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. 2018.1.0 UI is Awful

The UI redesign feels like a step back in almost every way.

Text just blurs together when I'm adjusting my mask generators. I have to carefully read through instead of quickly skimming.

The last UI was easy to read. Had obvious segments.

This 1 grey tone nonsense reduces my productivity by 25% just because of how everything blends together.

And the sliders are way too thin and now lack the vertical line segments that read 0.1, 0.2, 0.3 etc. Why would you remove this?! It used to be a smartly designed UI for quick changes.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Private licence

I'm not a developer and I'm not a student, but I like to create and I do so in hope to someday be able to do something more professional, but I live on around $80 per month and I know that many are in the same economical situation as me, so $20 for a Indie licence is a bit to expensive, so I want to to suggest a cheaper "hobbyist (nonprofit) Licence" or may sell the older version to a reduced or maybe fixed price when that version no longer is updated.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Make it rent to own. The way it was at first. :(

I had started the indie subscription for 19.99 a month in hopes that i would gradually be able to buy each software one at a time. I cant afford it all at one time. 2 months ago i was about to pay for substance painter thinking i could use the funds in my subscription only to find out i cant made me very upset. It was the reason i started the subscription in the first place. This is very upsetting to me and i have to wait a hole year before i can even afford to pay for something i…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. symmetry, brush improvements

adjustable symmetry, brush angle snapping at 0°,45°,90° etc. on/off, flip active brush

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. 2D selection tool, gradient tool,move tool

We really need these, which will greatly enhance the production efficiency

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Highres export on the CPU

As much as I like the speed of handling everything on the gpu, it is quite cumbersome or even next to impossible to export 8k maps from painter. Yes I know it is still experimental, but let|s face it, exporting 8k maps doesnt lend itself to be handeled on the gpu. I have a 4 GB card and exporting 8k is a hit and miss situation. If Highres export would be handeled on the cpu and system memory we could export even bigger maps. System ram is cheap. I have a 64GB machine and I don|t mind waiting a little…

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. ZBrush's same navigation around an object

I using a wacom with this program. I find it a bit hard to zoom in and out while painting an object. I end up having to take my hand off the wacom and using the mouse instead.

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

hard decline  ·  8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Cursor location fix for drawing lines.

When using the feature that draws a kine between 2 click points. Can you make the 1st pick save the spot. If you pan the viewport your 1st pick is not where it should be.

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. copy/paste to other project

You copy the layers or folders you want, then close the project and open another one and paste them in.

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Big Layer panel with multiple columns showing all channels at the same time

-Switching between all channels can be slow and tedious, also it's hard to understand what the complete stack is doing.
    attached a quick mockup of it.
    -Having the masks also visible at the same time (not in the mockup) rather than a toggle would be also more efficient.
    -Added a toggle radio button next to the channel's name to quickly change the display (instead of cycling through all channels with the "C" key)

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Import animation on models. Generate time based friction masks.

-Import Pointcache or FBX anim data.
    -Generate 'Friction' or 'age' wear masks based on the model's interaction over time.
    -This would also tie into improving the rendering of turntables.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. really need

Proposal for inclusion of features in substance painter. please make function to work U1V1 U2V1 UDIM. I would also like to be able to paint on several parts, without switching between them. I would also like to see the clone stamp tool. and the possibilities of colour correction of imported images. the functions for drawing splines masks, not to use external packages to create maps for stencil

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Paint across seams in 2D with tiling textures.

The ability to paint a projection texture in 2D across uv seams like you can in 3D. Currently projecting a tiling texture in UV space will recreate seams rather if you paint it across UV shells.

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. change scale for height color

For some reason, the scale of color for height goes from white to black to white again...? How does that even work? Makes things *very* hard to visualize.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1
  • Don't see your idea?

Substance Painter

Feedback and Knowledge Base