Substance Painter

Let us know how to improve Substance Painter!
Some guidelines before posting:
- This place is dedicated to feature requests and/new ideas suggestions. It is not made for bug reports (you can use the forum or the bug reporters for this).
- Before to create a new ticket, make sure your idea hadn’t been suggested before (if so it’s better to upvote it)
- 1 post = 1 idea

Thanks

How can we improve Substance Painter?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Add mask by an existing layer

It will be nice to allow an existing layer to be turn into a mask that can be use on other layers.

12 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

completed  ·  7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Assign Baked Mesh Maps (Normal, AO, ID, etc.) to different UV Channels

Is it possible to implement feature, which allows to select / assign individual Baked Mesh Maps (Normal, AO, ID, etc.) to different UV Channels than UV1?
    It is not necessary for Baker functionality, just for already baked / pre-created textures.

4 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Alembic import

A lot of VFX and animation studios now have their pipeline based on Alembic at most steps.

1 vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Change 'Abort' to 'Cancel'

Hi,

Could you please change your 'Abort' button to cancel? It'd be nice to not be reminded of my abortion in dialog boxes.

Thank you :)

1 vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Bring back the "+" and "-" slider controls that were removed in 2018.

In the latest version (2018), you removed the little "+" and "-" buttons from the slider controls, for things like UV Scale, UV Offset, etc. I used those all the time in previous versions to "nudge" textures into place with very fine control (2 decimal places). Please add them back. Ideally with a preferences setting to specify how many decimal places of accuracy.

It's now very cumbersome to have to constantly click the mouse in the numeric field and enter values manually over and over to get things just right, and just dragging the new slider doesn't offer enough control.

7 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Triplanar improvements - rotate, offset and scale in 3 axis

When using triplanar mapping on basematerials and textures it would be useful if you could rotate, scale and translate the projection in 3 axis, and maybe even visualize it in the viewport like a box mapping gizmo. This would be useful if your texture has any kind of grain going in one direction and you want to line up 2 of the sides on your object to have the same direction.

4 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. multiple selected layers create folder

add the functionality that if you have multiple layers selected and click the "create new folder" button, painter automatically puts those selected layers into the folder.

1 vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Import Cameras, Alembic, FBX etc.

Being able to import a camera would be great. Not only if working on a whole set in SP but as well to check a asset from a specific camera angle.

Furthermore it would help to render for example a turntable or specfic camera for example to use a Object in a Mattepainting straight from IRay, or for a concept etc. There are a ton of great new things that could be done in Substance Painter with this feat. :)

6 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Legacy UV seam padding

Padding is always bleed in SP 2018.1.
    i need legacy padding toggled option.

1 vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Edit mesh name

We would like to be able to edit mesh name in project configuration within painter (Similar to being able to edit shader name within texture set list).

1 vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Ability to see painted masks

I haven't found a way to do this yet, but it would be helpful if you could hover over a mask and the mask is shown on a bigger window, or even being able to see the black and white mask on the model. I just want to be able to see the black and white mask I painted, and right now the mask icon is so small it's hard to tell what's going on.

1 vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. 1 vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. It can't paint the texture out of the model region.

you can see on this screenshot, I just need a little bit of the brush and the brush circle is out of the model rigion then I can't paint it. how I can finish this step?

10 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. i would love to start working with substance painter but im hopelessly lost

my email is geniusthemaster@yahoo.com and

i cant seem to get started in substance painter.

i get lost in the sea of buttons.

i would like to import a mesh and paint upon the surface and make a skin for many peices of art but i dont know where to start, or end |o.o| .

if someone could upload a video of how to do all these steps in a short video i would appreciate it so much

1 vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Apply Smart Material to multiple TextureSets

Apply Smart Material to multiple TextureSets

7 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Native SSS Channel and/or SSS Shader

Please add native support for SSS and translucent shading in Painter. More and more film studios are starting to use Painter, and game studios are incorporating SSS look into their assets more and more. I should be able to paint SSS amount and color channels and a way to get real-time preview in the viewport as I paint and adjust SSS channels. If you can Epidermal, Subdermal and Deep layers even better.

4 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. "Link" - "Instance" - "Reference" or "Anchor" same Smart Material into multiple Texture Sets

It would be great if we could make a reference of a Folder or Smart Material into multiple texture sets. That way you could change aspects of the material "globally" and break the connection on specific parts of the Shader if necessary. Right now I have to manually copy and paste same material over several Texture Sets.

3 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. UDIM mesh select

My suggestion is that you can ctrl+ click a mesh element and go to that udim automatically, it saves time and makes for maximum efficiently.

5 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Substance Painter - must be able to create textures outside the 3D model. For example Open an empty image file in the program and create a

Substance Painter - must be able to create textures outside the 3D model. For example Open an empty image file in the program and create a texture in it using the filters built into the program.

The ability to create textures at the request of the artist a pixel in pixel conceived and not what happens.

1 vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. 1 vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 8 9
  • Don't see your idea?