Substance Painter

Let us know how to improve Substance Painter!

How can we improve Substance Painter?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Apply Smart Material to multiple TextureSets

Apply Smart Material to multiple TextureSets

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    planned  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. "Link" - "Instance" - "Reference" or "Anchor" same Smart Material into multiple Texture Sets

It would be great if we could make a reference of a Folder or Smart Material into multiple texture sets. That way you could change aspects of the material "globally" and break the connection on specific parts of the Shader if necessary. Right now I have to manually copy and paste same material over several Texture Sets.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Rename texture sets or re-link if renamed in Maya

I rely on texture set names as a string when I output my texture maps. This is important as a working pipeline to have everything named correctly and export easily. Right now if I want to change "Cat_1_blue" to "Cat_blue_1" I will have to re-export a fbx with both material, copy and paste in painter (which sometimes mess layers up), export a fbx with just new material just to get rid of old material in Painter. And while it kinda work, I am still forever stuck with an error message in the Log that says I am missing the old…

38 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Support For Non Square Stencil Textures

The current tool stretches/squishes any non square texture used as a stencil back into a square for projection.

Please allow for non square textures.

44 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Instanced Layers, Masks, Effects, etc. for INSTANCED SMART MATERIALS

Sometimes for a UDIM Workaround, multiple texture sets have identical fill layers, smart materials, masks or effects. For better iteration, it would be great to ALSO have the ability to INSTANCE instead of JUST COPYING. For instance, I would love to be able to change parameters of a single fill layer, generator or effects and have them automatically be exactly the same in all other texture sets where I instanced that fill layer, generator or effects. This would be great for all elements that compose the layer stack. So that we can have INSTANCED SMART MATERIALS for FAST ITERATION.

83 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Lasso tool for masking and creating selections for us while painting.

I texture a lot of hard-surface items and the only way for me to get perfectly straight lines and consistent edges is to clean things up in 2D(which means relying on good UVs, which isn't always the case).

Having a lasso tool where you can toggle between soft and hard-lasso would be great, and even the most super basic marquee-tool as rectangle and round would be of help.

88 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Instanced masks

Ability to use same mask for multiple layers.

... In practice if you change the mask, all the instances of the mask changed as well.
    This feature combined with automatic reloading of external mask files would make Substance painter really powerful as it would enable users to use other software (for example photoshop) for advanced mask creation and see the results nearly in realtime.

51 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Back-face culling (on/off mode), Clone Brush and viewport Antialiasing quality setting

It would be great to have a check box or setting to turn back-face culling on or off for the 3D view.

A clone brush/tool similar to Photoshop's, but which is able effect all map channels - base color, height, normal, roughness etc (user can control/turn on individual channels which the clone brush will affect).

Under Display options it would be nice to have an anti-aliasing quality scaler up to something like x8, similar to other programs like 3ds Max - see image link below.

3ds Max display/performance options - https://i.gyazo.com/88fa701fb5641798c6ac7d3bfe1a784d.png

Thanks!

28 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Ability to name or annotate Generators, Fill Layers, Filters, Effects, etc.

When making Smart Materials in projects that are used and shared by up to 20 artists, it would be very helpful to be able to name your Layers/Generators/etc, to make it obvious to other artists what your different layers and filters are doing.

This saves time as otherwise, every artist will have to reverse engineer every Smart Material.

Thanks!

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. delete textures from textures tab

I'm not sure if i'm missing anything but i cant for the life of me find a way to delete textures i'm not using anymore in substance. I tried the Clean command, that did a little cleaning, i still have left over stuff.

i just wanna press Delete or RMB (remove)

47 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Add colors to swatches (like in Photoshop)

It would be great with this feature, so you dont have to re-sample the color from the material on your mesh all the time.

24 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Improved Stamping/Stencil tools

The current tools substance painter provide for stamping decals are extremely lacking. They leave you fumbling and guessing to get the right angle and in general, it is a very frustrating process.

The combination of proper stamping tools and the ability to use substances as brushes (think decal set substances where you have control over which decal your stamping and its material properties), substance painter would be an unmatched tool for doing this type of work.

Suggestions:

1. When using substance material mode, give the option to use the opacity output of your substance as your brush alpha. The checkerbox…

66 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Remember last Brush settings for each layer!

It would be very handy, if Substance Painter could remember the last brush settings for each layer. If you work on different paint layers and you are going back and forth, it takes a lot of time to change the brush settings for every layer over and over again.

Helpful would be, if there were an option that painter would remember the last brush settings (like alpha, mask, substance / color, height, metallic and roughness values). That would speed up the workflow between different layers.

Thanks!

49 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Export Merged Texture Sets as Single Texture, Per Channel

I am sure most of us are suffering through this particular process where we need to have texture sets for our particular projects, but the most painful part comes when we have to use these texture sets and they are very messy looking and unusable without a mask set up. And the textures can become very numerous (I shouldn't have to use photoshop to merge the layers together, defeats the purpose)

So here is my idea:

-- Allow us to have a master export that will merge the selected texture sets, and do the proper padding (that we can set,…

280 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  32 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. 3d Mouse Support.

Support for 3dConnexion mice for navigating while painting.

325 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  70 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Allow for changing the default location of the materials

The location: Users\***\Documents\Substance Painter\shelf\presets\materials

is no good for me.

I do everything from the D: drive other than run the OS.

Please allow us to change the Users\***\Documents\Substance Painter\shelf\presets\materials location to one of our choosing?

There is no room on that drive for that.

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. make screenshot button

cannot believe we still dont have that!:-D

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Add mask by an existing layer

It will be nice to allow an existing layer to be turn into a mask that can be use on other layers.

30 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Substance Painter

Feedback and Knowledge Base