Substance Painter

Let us know how to improve Substance Painter!

How can we improve Substance Painter?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. 366 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    planned  ·  29 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. 3d Mouse Support.

Support for 3dConnexion mice for navigating while painting.

310 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  68 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Export Merged Texture Sets as Single Texture, Per Channel

I am sure most of us are suffering through this particular process where we need to have texture sets for our particular projects, but the most painful part comes when we have to use these texture sets and they are very messy looking and unusable without a mask set up. And the textures can become very numerous (I shouldn't have to use photoshop to merge the layers together, defeats the purpose)

So here is my idea:

-- Allow us to have a master export that will merge the selected texture sets, and do the proper padding (that we can set,…

267 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  30 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Hide Selected geometry

for we can select and hide parts of geometry

236 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    15 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. UDIM Support

It would be nice to get the ability to load UDIM. Especially with complex objects where one map isn't enough, this feauture would be helpful.

219 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    started  ·  27 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Export Render to texture from 2D view(Combinde texture as complete map)

Export complete texture map by 2D view.
    Be able to setting up to custom render texture size and bake output with custom export path.

Some idea suggest to bake complete map function menu in to export all channel menu.
    Korean almost graphic user working for mobile game ... It is really need for mobile game graphics workflow.

216 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    40 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. 8k and possibly 16k texture resolution support

We are working with 3D scans and photogrammetry and current 4k limit is prohibitive in most cases.

I guess there are a lot of potential customers in film/TV/HQ rendering or even next-gen game industries who would say the same.

215 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    14 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Make a live link with Photoshop

One button press to send all current layers to photoshop, make adjustments there and auto import back to SP.
    See 3d coat or Zbrush Applink for reference.

191 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  10 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Painting on the Same mesh UDIM support

Thanks for the UDIM release in 2.1 guys!
    but we MUST be able to paint on the same surface with multiple UDIMs.
    The create a texture set per UDIM option works great for separate objects, but for any sort of organic texturing like painting skin on a body mesh, the face for example is usually on a separate texture set and cant be painted at the same time. This invites seams and constant texture set switching.
    We need to be able to paint on the same surface without switching texture sets. Thanks for your continuing development and updates.

154 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Ability to draw splines on model

Similar to 3d spline paint tool in 3d coat but do something even better.

In its most basic form these splines can then be used as vector masks, that can be stroked to create lines or filled to create specific shapes

They can even be used as path for creating effects like stitches zipper in a non-destructive editable way and can be moved around on the model to position perfectly.

This can even be enhanced further by allowing us to save preset shapes that can be projected on to a model and further edited.

143 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  10 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. uv unwrapping within painter

Hi! It would be great to have a UV unwrapping sytem inside Painter.
    This way you could work the whole time inside of SP and not jumping from your 3D app to SP.
    Thanks for listening!

137 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  16 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Scripting: import into shelf and assign to slot in layer stack

In order to fully automate fixing normal map baking errors by blending an averaged and non-averaged map, we need to be able to do this in scripting:

-Import textures into the shelf.
    -Assign textures to specific slots from items on the layer stack.

131 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Scale smart materials

It would be handy to have some way to adjust the size of smart material. They sometimes have lots of layers and complicated hierarchy. And to change the overall size of the texture it takes lots of effort

115 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Symmetry center based on object pivot point.

The symmetry system don't work properly when I'm using multiple meshs to bake each part separately. When I am exporting all separate objects together, the Substance Painter create a bounding box covering all objects, but it would be better if the symmetry center was based on a pivot point from one of the separated objects (having the ability to choose which object).

109 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. More height (normal map) controls - low/mid/high frequency, bevel shape (curve), NDO-style

Currently (v1.5) we can only set height's intensity. It would make height much more useful if we had fine control over how the height map is interpreted.
    NDO is so powerful - has many presets for bricks, bolts, concrete etc. - just because it has the ability to control resulting bevel's shape. So it's easy to create a preset which adapts to a specific need.
    B2M has simple separate low/mid/high frequency settings, which is sufficient for many situations.

98 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Add a "Flatten Layer/Layers" Option

When using extensive material graphs in Substance Painter, previously prepared in Substance Designer, the customization phase (if the graph has any exposed parameters) is often short, and is done once. Then the graph sits there and recomputes from time to time slowing the program down. It would be nice to collapse such a graph, or even a collection of layers, to a single layer - when the artist decides that he will no longer tweak any parameters, or no longer needs having multiple layers.

97 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Export the mesh from an SPP file

The idea of putting everything needed into one single SPP file is great for exchanging painter projects.

Sometimes it would be nice to be able to export the mesh from an SPP project to get it back into the 3D application without having to bundle the corresponding 3D mesh separately.

97 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    12 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Color Palette

I would like to have a color palette were I can save all my base colors. At the moment the color picker doesn't quite pick the colors from my model 100% due to shading and maybe some other issues.

Maybe add the palette to the Base Color color window.

90 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  12 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Lasso tool for masking and creating selections for us while painting.

I texture a lot of hard-surface items and the only way for me to get perfectly straight lines and consistent edges is to clean things up in 2D(which means relying on good UVs, which isn't always the case).

Having a lasso tool where you can toggle between soft and hard-lasso would be great, and even the most super basic marquee-tool as rectangle and round would be of help.

88 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Instanced Layers, Masks, Effects, etc. for INSTANCED SMART MATERIALS

Sometimes for a UDIM Workaround, multiple texture sets have identical fill layers, smart materials, masks or effects. For better iteration, it would be great to ALSO have the ability to INSTANCE instead of JUST COPYING. For instance, I would love to be able to change parameters of a single fill layer, generator or effects and have them automatically be exactly the same in all other texture sets where I instanced that fill layer, generator or effects. This would be great for all elements that compose the layer stack. So that we can have INSTANCED SMART MATERIALS for FAST ITERATION.

83 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 25 26
  • Don't see your idea?

Substance Painter

Feedback and Knowledge Base