Substance Painter

Let us know how to improve Substance Painter!

How can we improve Substance Painter?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. customizable UI

Customize the UI the way I want to.
    Rearrange the menus that are on the right at the start where I want to, lock this new interface and save it.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Integrate Github Version Control into Substance Painter 2017

Now that Substance Painter (2017 as of this writing) has become another go-to tool for many. I suggest the integration of Github into Substance Painter going forward.

Autosave, to me, is better than nothing. But a robust and best practice method would be to have Github integration. By far the most popular version control system.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. i would love to start working with substance painter but im hopelessly lost

my email is geniusthemaster@yahoo.com and

i cant seem to get started in substance painter.

i get lost in the sea of buttons.

i would like to import a mesh and paint upon the surface and make a skin for many peices of art but i dont know where to start, or end |o.o| .

if someone could upload a video of how to do all these steps in a short video i would appreciate it so much

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. MultiPath Export options

Hi everyone,

It would be cool to be able to setup the export path by Texture set.

My example here is I work on creating textures for a wardrobe and I need to export in different folders each texture set.

My proposition is to put a MultiPath button in the export window to allow people to setup 1 path by textureset. With no needs of a scripting workaround. As an artist we are not all good with scripts ;)

I put a quick UI proposition for that

Thanks guys

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Resolution export checklist

Hi, I came up with an idea for a, (RESOLUTION EXPORT CHECKLIST), sometimes with a multiple texture list, it will get kind of hard to remember resolution for export, for example, when I go to export, sometimes I would have to flip back and forth to see what item to pick for a certain resolution, I know i can pick the resolution before I go to export, but my computer slows down. So that is why I came up with a (RESOLUTION EXPORT CHECKLIST), and at the same time keeping my computer fast and snappy. Thank you

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Package Resource & Additional Maps Shelf Inspection

Debugging Painter Bitmap resources and additional maps is challenging. I often bake all my maps in Designer first for this reason. It would be nice if we could do the following in Painter:

- RMB over an image resource in the shelf and see more information (Source resolution, format, depth, etc). Sometimes bakes aren't the correct resolution or depth, and it's often hard to tell.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Change the preview globle textureset size

Hi~ First of all,thanks for make such amazing texture tools,and there is some sugestion of substance painter:
    When we want to change the preview texture size ,we need changed one by one textureset,can you guys add
    a tool which can change the globle texture size ? That will be very helpful,Thanks again!

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Need ZY flip for Up-xais OBJ

Need ZY flip for Up-xais OBJ ( Max/Maya )

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Shelf should read Windows direct access links

I find this very useful for organizational purposes and should not be costly to develope. In ZBrush you can create a windows direct access file in your default ZBrush projects, tools, ... folders linking another folder in your hard drive . ZBrush follow the link, access the content of that folder and show that in Lightbox. Say I have a folder in my hard drive with grayscale alphas for ZBrush and other apps. Using direct acess links I can access this folder from ZBrush, SP, etc., otherwise I would need to duplicate those images everywhere.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Add anchor points to Color Selection filter

Add Anchor point support for the Color selection filter.
    This would allow controlling material placements from a single layer by painting your own color id maps (in absence of a baked color ID map) and easy tweaking of the baked color ID map. No more hunting for the right mask layer in the layer stack.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Units setup for tools, brushes and mesh.

It would be great if proper units could be implemented through the application. For example, by setting real-world scale on the mesh, brushes and smart materials.

It's easy to go "scale blind" when working close on a model for days. Being able to, for example, set scratches as 1mm wide and drips as 0.5cm wide would be awesome and help creating a realistic model.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Native SSS Channel and/or SSS Shader

Please add native support for SSS and translucent shading in Painter. More and more film studios are starting to use Painter, and game studios are incorporating SSS look into their assets more and more. I should be able to paint SSS amount and color channels and a way to get real-time preview in the viewport as I paint and adjust SSS channels. If you can Epidermal, Subdermal and Deep layers even better.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Add project specific color swatch library

All Painter projects should contain custom color swatch library that are used for that asset (similar to Mari). One should be able to rename the colors to custom name as well. This is userful when multiple artists work on the same asset at different times and reduce guess work. Please implement this as its fairly a simple feature but very helpful in a studio environment.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Hotkeys for brush type.

I have my favorite brushes, and i want be able to bind my hotkeys to speed up the work. For example: Default Soft brush-"Alt+D", Dirt 1-"Alt+A", Scratches 4-"Alt+S" etc.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Reload mesh button.

It would be nice to have a dedicated (plugin like) button that can reload project mesh on the fly. So that whenever I make changes to the mesh reloading the project mesh would be more convinient.

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. On/off pressure sensitivity by hotkey or click

I want this button to be faster. So switching state with Alt+LMB or MMB would be nice.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Import Resources default values

When importing resources to the shelf, the default values should be set to the most common — at the moment the default resource type is "undefined" and the default directory is blank. Both of these are the least useful of the possible options, so why make them default? If the default resource type is "Texture" then 80% of the time, I won't even have to touch that button. "Current Session" is probably the most reasonable default for resource directory.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Multiple UV sets for channels

- Possibility to choose from multiple UV sets for different channels (albedo, normal, AO,...) would be nice. In ArmA 3 we use 2.nd UVset for stuff like Ambient Occllusion, Macro maps, Detail textures. 1st UVset we use for Diffuse, Normal, etc.

This would really improve our workflow.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Be able to change Blend Modes in Texture Set Settings

Every time I need to change blend modes for separate channels I need to:

-Change the drop-down menu in Layers
    -Then go to the layer
    -and then change the opacity, blend type, within the layer
    -but If I have to change the setting in another chanel type...
    -I have to go back and do it all over again

Is there perhaps a way we can have this functionality within the Texture Set Settings? There is a lot of space there. An opacity slider and what blend type is being used.

Thanks Allegorithmic!

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Button to save Bake settings without actually baking

The baking tool has 3 buttons:
    Cancel
    Bake all texture sets
    Bake (current) textures

Please add another button to close the dialog but keep any changes you made to the settings.

Scenario - you go into the dialog, set everything up, then find you have the wrong Texture Set selected. Hitting Cancel throws away the changes you made, so you have to start again.

An alternative would be to add a drop-down in the dialog to select the Texture Set.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4 5 25 26
  • Don't see your idea?

Substance Painter

Feedback and Knowledge Base