Substance Painter

Let us know how to improve Substance Painter!
Some guidelines before posting:
- This place is dedicated to feature requests and/new ideas suggestions. It is not made for bug reports (you can use the forum or the bug reporters for this).
- Before to create a new ticket, make sure your idea hadn’t been suggested before (if so it’s better to upvote it)
- 1 post = 1 idea

Thanks

How can we improve Substance Painter?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Please update bad advice in documentation

In https://docs.substance3d.com/spdoc/gpu-drivers-crash-with-long-computations-128745489.html, one of the suggestions is "Disabling the TDR completely -> Set "TdrLevel" to 0 ( not recommended )". Even if it says "not recommended" this suggestion cannot be safely done in a PC running DX12 applications. For DX11 application TdeLevel=0 effectively is the same as an infinite timeout, however with DX12 you also get page faults which go through the TDR handling mechanism. When these are triggered, it will cause an unrecoverable PC hang. A number of substance painter users in our production had followed this advice and it took us a number of weeks to track…

1 vote
    Sign in Sign in with All Right Reserved
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. [one click button] Set size for all texture sets

It would be nice to see one-click button that will set size for all texture sets to one size. It will help a lot on iray rendering workflow. Currently, when you have textures sets with big (4k) resolution navigation and changing lighting conditions is very hard to modify, PC is slowing down. Clicking one by one and changing it from high to low nad vice versa is time-consuming. I attached an image with a preview of idea.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Add blending modes to filters

Perhaps they would benefit from the added options. Can't let generator, paint, and fill have all the fun.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. procedural alpha's not vector when working with brush

as i can tell from the title, procedural alpha's not vector when working with brush. it is vector when working with stencil, but it's much better and easy to work with brush you know! i hope this kinda thing get fixed.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. The layer seach tool

Sometimes the layer is too many to find,If it have a tool can seach the layer‘s name then It's much more convenient.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. bake curvature from mesh

Right now the curvature is generated from the Normal Map which leaves artefacts and gaps. Since a lot of smart materials are driven by curvature maps, curvature from mesh would be a crucial addition to painter's bakers.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. More controls for HDRI Environments

It would be great to be able to set apply a HSL filter to the environments. This way we could easily modify the color hue of the environment, make it greyscale if we don't want any colors to affect the textures, and so on.Also would be cool to apply a Blur filter if we want to make the environment reflections on the model softer, and why not let us rotate the environment also verticaly.
    These features are super handy for people who use the bake environment lighting filter.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. 3D Linear gradient improvements

Would be useful to automatically sample position map when using 3D position start / end pickers instead of having to view the position map channel then go back to the material to see the changes

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Install multiple version of Substance Painter through Substance Launcher

In Unreal you can install multiple versions of Unreal Engine. I would like the same function for Substance Launcher. The reason for this is many of us for sure works with difference clients. More often than not they have preference as to which version of SP to use. So having to install different version and build will give us flexibility.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Export both textures and material values in glTF

Export either textures, or standard material values for plain color materials.

For example:
    When you have a model with 2 materials. 1 opaque material, 1 semi transparent glass material. The glass material usually has a plain color and standard values on the entire texture set. There's no need to have it as a texture, it could also be defined as values in the material.
    It would be great to have the ability to choose only to export the texture set for the opaque material and have the values for the second, 'basic' material defined in the gltf material properties itself.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Sliders and values remain editable after pressing enter, like UE4

When you edit a value in UE4 it remain selected after pressing enter so, if you doing "try and error" (that is very common also in Substance Painter), you can continiously type in numbers without reselecting the value each time. I would like to see this in all your sofwares, but expecially in Painter

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Settings request: ability to set the value which affect sliders when pressing up and down arrow

Currently, you can edit sliders by cliking on the number and than pressing up and down arrows to edit the value by steps. But in any case, this steps are to big and so this feature is useless. Maybe you can let the user set this steps by itself in the settings

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Option request: "Don't show shortcut info panel"

Please make ad option to disable it. When you know well the sofware, is frustrating to have that pop-up panel that cover 1/3 of the viewport just fot ìtell you shortcut that you already know

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Speed up saves

Saving is becoming pretty slow and it's really frustrating

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. VFX Templates - V-Ray, Renderman, Arnold, Shader Representations.

When making a new project in substance painter, we need to be able to choose a VFX friendly template.

There should be accurate shader representations of common shaders used in VFX such as Renderman's PxrSurface, VRayMaterial and so on.

This will make things much better for VFX artsts.
    Thanks

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. We need Isometric View in Iray

When some of us are creating things in substance painter we need to be able to get certain angles perfect for every shot. I do a lot of isometric stuff and I think some other people do it too. I need to be able to capture a image in Isometric view instead of trying to fine the right spot with the camera every time. There no way to save a certain angle for letter projects. Give us isometric view or a way to save a certain angle shot for future projects in IRAY.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Lock Transparency

It would be nice, especially now that Adobe is there, if there was an ability to lock layers properties such as transparency like in Photoshop. I have found that sometimes I want to paint over something I have previously painted but not want to run over the area that was already painted. I know we can create masks for this but I feel that locking layer properties would make this easier and faster.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Up and down arrow to cycle through SBSAR presets

Pressing up or down when you have the preset dropdown active on a Material or Filter to cycle through presets - like how you can do it on layer blending modes.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Copy paste / Drag and drop sub layers and mask layers.

We can already reorder sub layers... However, being able to copy and paste any sub layers/mask layers (filters, fills, levels) is kind of missing. Also, being able to drag and drop them from one layer (or mask layer) to another would be nice.

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Problems resources

I have a problem with the last version (2019) and I usually work in other version but I buy the license indie and install the new version and now i can work in subtances because the uv's move the plece when rote the model. So please, fix the problem. And help the custumers with this kind the mistakes

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 18 19
  • Don't see your idea?

Substance Painter

Feedback and Knowledge Base