Substance Painter

Let us know how to improve Substance Painter!

How can we improve Substance Painter?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Baking support for textured highpolys

With photogrammetry pipelines becoming more common, there is a need to perform bakes from highpoly sources that provide both geometry and albedo data.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Improving the designer/painter material interlinking.

Although in principle Substance Painter and Substance Designer should sit hand in hand, I feel there's still a big divide between the two. I have found that I have to keep the interactions as basic and minimal as i can. I make something in designer, then i bake it all down and send it to painter. I dream of a day where the two don't feel so distant.

When making complex materials in designer, the integration into painter becomes slow and temperamental. Id solve this by importing my material as pre-baked textures. However there are times when you want to…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Baking - Match by Mesh Groups

One thing I've been noticing when doing baking using the "Match by mesh name" is that while it works for ensuring only related sets of low and high objects are baked together, there are situations where there isn't always two objects between the low and high for certian scenarios. For example, a piece that only exists on the high poly for optimization reasons.

As an alternative to matching two objects together between the low and high poly, it would be nice to have a "Match via mesh groups" to pair groups of objects instead.
    An example:
    Match via mesh name …

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Buttons (values 0.0000) / functionality

since the lack of design/functionality in buttons is obvious,
    would really help to be able to move freely not by stepped units

currently UV scale, UV offset, UV rotation move by "X" value
    (0.0X00) instead of starting from the lowest possible option (0.000X)

for example keep the snapping active but when press "shift" or some other key you are able to move softly

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. .Sbsar file export.

Hello.
    Substance painter need a sbsar file export feature, this feature is really great and usfull then the standard image export, because after texturing our asset sbsar file will allow us to play with multiple options and overriders.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Color spray or color dynamics

I would love the ability to vary colour when painting with a brush (or just value if painting in a grayscale channel). See the "Colour Dynamics" tab in photoshop or "Color Spray" zbrush as an example.

I really feel this feature is absolutely necessary, as I'm sure anyone who has ever textured in Photoshop or Zbrush would tell you, this is used all the time.

Controls to vary the hue, saturation, brightness etc when painting would be a great feature and really improve the painting ability of this program. Painter is good with masks and filters but I really feel…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. It would be nice not lose the custom Shelf i've made after installing a Painter Update.

It would be nice not lose the custom Shelf i've made after installing a Painter Update. After Updating to the latest version of custom painter I lost all my custom smart materials and the way they where organized in the Shelf Window. :(

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Projection through Photoshop

I constantly use 3d coat for project image from photoshop. I wanna delete 3d coat and all time use Painter :D

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Export only selected maps from a preset

Currently, if you want to export a preset you have to export all of the maps in the preset, which is helpful if you are going for a complete export. However when editing only BaseColor to look better in other software it would be helpful not to have all to export all of the maps from the preset, but just selected ones. I know that this can be achieved with multiple export presets and just switch between them, however, it creates an unnecessary amount of presets in the list. What do you think?

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Toggle Wireframe Keyboard Shortcut

First off, thanks for implementing wireframe mode while painting.

I use maximized viewport mode for painting. Sometimes I'd like to follow the topology better with my brush, so I use wireframe overlay.

It would give me better workflow if the overlay could be toggled with a keyboard shortcut, instead of exiting the maximized mode, wait for the menus to redraw, navigate to Viewer Settings, scroll down and toggle wireframe, then going back to maximized mode.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Baking Controls

Baking Controls

Having interactive options for baking like marmoset toolbag has. The feature like Bake groups and Quick loading via naming conventions will be of great help. Follow this link to see marmoset toolbag baking feature in action https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_2LlmbFBbc

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Hand painted textures features

Dear Allegorithmic,
    We all love your soft. All what we want is make it more greater and functional for more users (include us). As i wrote in this tread before (https://allegorithmic.uservoice.com/forums/261284-substance-painter/suggestions/10275693-handpaint-textures) - please add a separate palette panel, color picker hotkey (only color, not material), merge layers function and ability to "apply" effects (filters, levels etc.) - last function will also improve performance troubles. Also will be very nice to have color brush smudge/mixing function, for making nice and smooth color mixing.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. 语言问题

我看到substance painter2017.1新增四种语言,然而我在语言界面只能看到英语和日语,我在想你们是不是忘记添加了中文,谢谢,中国是个很大的国家,希望你们能够尽快支持中文。

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Paint multiple objects at once. Single click UV projection (All) to tri-planar (All). Separate export locations per map

Paint multiple objects at once.

It's pretty much self explanatory, it would be nice to paint over multiple meshes/textures. You could add a new button "add multi-paint layer to all" and allow us to paint all meshes at once. Currently I have to jump to third party software every-time I want to do this. I know you can make layers and jump between them but that takes so much time and you still can't quite get what you're after.

Single click UV projection (All) to tri-planar (All).

I really like having the tri-planar effect as an option but what I…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Anchor point support for PBR material layering pipeline

would be great to have anchor points working in material layering pipline as well. At the moment it works only within layers of each material.This would allow users to use anchor point across other layers used in other materials.
    Thanks

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Saving the UI

Saving the UI as a file that can be loaded on any computer.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Substance Painter CPU & GPU usage

The Substance Painter uses huge amounts of CPU as well as GPU(mainly this) as we all know. Even when the Substance Designer and B2M work perfectly fine on some systems, the Painter just hangs and doesn't even go beyond fluctuating between "responding" and "not responding".
    I would really really realllllly appreciate if Allegorithmic could optimize the Substance Painter and make it much much less dependent on the
    GPU(even though i know it cant work without it).
    Also, please do something about people who have very low VRAM and Graphics card specs.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Export Layered Textures/Shading network option

Hello everyone,
    I've been using painter for a bit. The worflow inside painter is great, allowing to generate really good textures/shaders quickly with great quality.

This is the short version of what below:
    1) Can we have an export layered texture or network shader option?
    2) Can we bring the network building shader capability from designer into Painter?

The long version:
    Basically I've arrived in painter cause doing this kind of work in Maya is VERY clunky, networks get cluttered very quickly and previewing what you're doing would need constant rendering. The viewport preview is very very poor.

Painter then…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Integrate Github Version Control into Substance Painter 2017

Now that Substance Painter (2017 as of this writing) has become another go-to tool for many. I suggest the integration of Github into Substance Painter going forward.

Autosave, to me, is better than nothing. But a robust and best practice method would be to have Github integration. By far the most popular version control system.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. i would love to start working with substance painter but im hopelessly lost

my email is geniusthemaster@yahoo.com and

i cant seem to get started in substance painter.

i get lost in the sea of buttons.

i would like to import a mesh and paint upon the surface and make a skin for many peices of art but i dont know where to start, or end |o.o| .

if someone could upload a video of how to do all these steps in a short video i would appreciate it so much

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 26 27
  • Don't see your idea?

Substance Painter

Feedback and Knowledge Base