Substance Painter

Let us know how to improve Substance Painter!

How can we improve Substance Painter?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. export different texture size per texture

in some cases its not desired to have all textures at the full resolution, so it would be nice to be able to specify each texture size in the export template rather than having all exported at the full resolution and then needing to reduce the size in an external software.

25 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow 360 degree angle for lighting rather than rotating around Up axis

Sometimes I have models that have details on the bottom of the mesh (a car underbody for example) that I cant accurately see what the lighting looks like because Painter only allows for rotating the scene lighting around the Up axis.

7 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Non-square UV texturing (2048x1024)

If you create a texture in a non square format (for example 2048x1024), the 2D/UV viewport should reflect the chosen aspect ratio.

PS! I'm sure it is already on the developer's radar. It has been suggested before but the moderator requested a separate post because the original post asked for two different features.

https://allegorithmic.uservoice.com/forums/261284-substance-painter/suggestions/19688869-non-square-uv-texturing-2048x1024-multiple-uv

4 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Paint to correct normal map skew like Marmoset

It would be really nice to be able to paint out skewed normal detail with per pixel blending like you can do in Marmoset. There is a plug-in that is kind of a hacky way to do it in the substance share database that works by masking the edges, but it does not work well in all cases, and is kind of annoying to set up. Marmoset does it with per pixel blending, so you can easily paint precise masks to correct for the skew. You can see what I mean here:

https://mk0marmoset2r9got8jk.kinstacdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/skewopt.gif

4 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. An Android app to show your textured model.

Right now there are plenty of apps that allow a 360° view of your raw model, but in order to show folks my SP textured work I can only use 2D renders (so 5 years ago). It would be great if I could display my textured work in 360° on a simple Android (or Apple) app. Would this mean Allegorithmic would have to invent a proprietary file type that could efficiently bundle the object with the texture?

1 vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. "Clear Mask" should not remove the effects stack - rather only the hand-painted part

The "clear mask" option doesn't make much sense currently - there is nearly no use case for it. It removes the content, and the effects stack on the mask.
    If the users should ever want this, they could simply use "remove mask" and add a new one.

But in most workflows you rather have a complex effects stack, and some hand painted strokes on top of it. So once you update the mesh (or exchange it completely) you would want to remove the paint strokes, but keep the effects stack.

Right now there are only unpractical workarounds for this. One…

16 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Brush angle snapping hotkey

Rotate brush to 0, 45, 90 or custom degrees.

Useful when stamping alphas without eyeballing orthogonality.

1 vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Painting Improvement: Trim Dynamic-like Brush

So today I was trying to paint folds in SP just to realize: It is really hard.
    We have the basic components. We can set the brush to height only and choose our height level. Then we can use pressure sensitive brush size to draw out our initial folds. With proper alpha we might even get nice round elevation that is starting to look like cloth.
    We hit the wall here, though. Now we would need to go in and start to work the edges but we don't really have the tools for that.
    In traditional painting we would use…

1 vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Revamping the export options to negate need for other software & renaming

The export settings are too basic which makes more work afterwards. Attached is a mock-up of what myself and my co-workers would really enjoy. This would include on export texture set renaming globally as well as individual maps (You might have variations of textures in the same file, but sometimes it is only the diffuse that changes, for example). Also having per map general export settings. All of these would negate the annoying after export work.
    Love your work Allegorithmic!

1 vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. 3D Pen tool gradation tool

Is it technically possible to install a Photoshop pen tool in Substance Painter?

In 3D space simulate sticking brush on object.
    The path drawn with the pen tool can be converted to a mask, and you can draw a pattern.

It would be nice to edit the path later since it was nondestructive.

Is it possible to install gradation tools technically?
    I would like to use Photoshop's gradation tool.
    I think it's a useful function for building assets for games.

1 vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Camera Control Button

I want to use camera controling button like cinema4D because it's hard to use two hands for cripple like me...

1 vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. SUBDIVISION

Good evening, I wish we could subdivide the geometry, to work better with the mesh. The same has many limitations in terms of values, does not allow exaggerating the tilted, among other things.
    And it would be incredible a sample of the way of work with famous renders, speaking of the part of emiisive, opacity, sss, among others.

Buenas noches, me gustaría que se pudiera subdividir la geometría, para poder trabajar mejor con la mesh. Igual tiene muchas limitantes en cuanto valores, no permite exagerar el tilted, entre otras cosas.
    Y estaria increible una muestra del modo de trabajo con…

1 vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. SUBDIVISION

Good evening, I wish we could subdivide the geometry, to work better with the mesh. The same has many limitations in terms of values, does not allow exaggerating the tilted, among other things.
    And it would be incredible a sample of the way of work with famous renders, speaking of the part of emiisive, opacity, sss, among others.

Buenas noches, me gustaría que se pudiera subdividir la geometría, para poder trabajar mejor con la mesh. Igual tiene muchas limitantes en cuanto valores, no permite exagerar el tilted, entre otras cosas.
    Y estaria increible una muestra del modo de trabajo con…

1 vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Camera zoom LMB + MMB

Alt + LMB is camera rotate, great
    Alt + MMB is camera translate, great

However

Alt + RMB is camera zoom.

That's one way to do it in Maya, but it's far more efficient to use Alt + LMB + MMB, that way you don't need to lift off your fingers from the LMB and MMB or worse, use your ring finger for RMB.

It would be cool to have this option in Substance Painter as well. At the moment can't specify 2 mouse button clicks in the hotkeys at the same time.

1 vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Ability to draw your custom normals from zero. Just like in ndo.

In ndo you may draw your custom normals by brush or by selection area in photoshop, then you may customise results: padding, contrast, etc.
    Save them as your custom normals in hard surface dirrectory with automaticaly generated channels of ao, curv, etc.
    2. There is no padding when you export layers in photoshop.Customisable padding needed that will be applied for every layer in channel (for example diffuse).
    3. Import from photoshop. I can export project in photoshop but I cant return it anyway.

12 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Measure tool and visual silhouette

It's difficult to see sizes when you work on architecture projects. Human silhouette (with settings) and measure tool would be nice to see in painter.
    Something like it you can see in speedtree - its allows comfortably compare sizes of an object.

1 vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Allow jpg option for gtlf export

gtlf export is currently locked to png, As the web is a common use case for these files, and therefore file size is an important consideration, it would be nice to avoid the extra conversion step.

1 vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Play a sound when done exporting

I've been exporting 4K textures for the first time, they take a couple of minutes to export, which I do not expend looking at the progress bar, and it doesn't show on windows "peak" because it doesn't create it as a new window.

Something I'm missing, maybe simple to implement, that would help ux, is to play a alert sound when exporting is done, similar to what is done in editing software like Premiere or After Effects.

2 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Stencil invert

I would like to request the ability to invert the stencil. (not the brush color). Right now i have duplicate the maps and invert them in another package.

1 vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Duplicate and copy/paste effects

It would be SUPER HANDY if we could duplicate (also copy and paste) the effects we add on the masks (generator / paint / fill / etc). I ran into a situation where I had to put the same text on both sides of a symmetrical mesh, so I did one side and, since the mirror on the software doesn't mirror the fill layers at all, I had to do everything from scratch to the other side. I could have only duplicated the effect and moved the text with the manipulator available for the fill effects.

1 vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 15 16
  • Don't see your idea?

Substance Painter

Feedback and Knowledge Base