Substance Painter

Let us know how to improve Substance Painter!

How can we improve Substance Painter?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Smoothtool / blurtool, like the nudgetool, but for smoothing

Having a smoothtool in adition to the nudgetool, would raise the bar!
    Often, when blurring/smoothing a mask, the blur will go over the edge of the UV island and we get artifacts. A smoothtool would let us smooth in 3d space and the issue would be resolved. Also, It would have many other usecase examples. Like blurring the end of a drawn line, blurring the ends of drawn height-lines and so on and so forth.

16 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Assign Baked Mesh Maps (Normal, AO, ID, etc.) to different UV Channels

Is it possible to implement feature, which allows to select / assign individual Baked Mesh Maps (Normal, AO, ID, etc.) to different UV Channels than UV1?
    It is not necessary for Baker functionality, just for already baked / pre-created textures.

4 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. export different texture size per texture

in some cases its not desired to have all textures at the full resolution, so it would be nice to be able to specify each texture size in the export template rather than having all exported at the full resolution and then needing to reduce the size in an external software.

5 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. "Clear Mask" should not remove the effects stack - rather only the hand-painted part

The "clear mask" option doesn't make much sense currently - there is nearly no use case for it. It removes the content, and the effects stack on the mask.
    If the users should ever want this, they could simply use "remove mask" and add a new one.

But in most workflows you rather have a complex effects stack, and some hand painted strokes on top of it. So once you update the mesh (or exchange it completely) you would want to remove the paint strokes, but keep the effects stack.

Right now there are only unpractical workarounds for this. One…

6 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Please allow for an option to set the texture size for all UDIMs at once

Right now, if I have a scene with around 10-12 UDIMs, I have to go into each and manually increase/decrease the texture size which affects the performance in a huge way.

Can we please have a button which lets us select a texture size (eg 512) and apply it across all the UDIMs.

Thanks!

3 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Bring back the "+" and "-" slider controls that were removed in 2018.

In the latest version (2018), you removed the little "+" and "-" buttons from the slider controls, for things like UV Scale, UV Offset, etc. I used those all the time in previous versions to "nudge" textures into place with very fine control (2 decimal places). Please add them back. Ideally with a preferences setting to specify how many decimal places of accuracy.

It's now very cumbersome to have to constantly click the mouse in the numeric field and enter values manually over and over to get things just right, and just dragging the new slider doesn't offer enough control.

7 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Select face loop option on the Fill Mode

It would be SUPER HANDY if there was an option to select face loops on the Fill Mode to create mask along the loops very quickly. Besides, it could have the option to grow the selection to make it even better.

3 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Copy content from paint layer to other channels

I ran into a case where I wanted to copy the content of my paint layer then create a fill layer and paste the paint layer content in the mask channel. Even if it was originally color it could still be pasted as gray scale into the mask channel.

4 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. UDIM selection Sets

Usually I am working with around 20-25 UDIMs for a set that has a wide range of materials. It would be nice to have a selection set presets which will only unhide those selected UDIMs. For example if I am working on only wood material, then I can create a selection preset which will only show the wood UDIMs.

2 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Bottom Light

Something I often run in to when I'm texturing characters in Painter is that it's really hard to get enough light on the bottoms of feet and the palms of hands (in a t-pose), because the only lighting available is environment lighting, and the ground in all of the environment captures acts like a light occluder. An optional "bottom light" with some basic functions like intensity and color would be welcome.

8 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Paint layers and masks need to preserve brush settings

You create a mask or paint layer, lay down your paint, then come back to it later. Whatever the brush settings were used on this layer are now gone, because you've worked on other layers, so you either attempt to match the brush, or threaten violence against your computer and redo it all to ensure consistency.

These layers should really retain their brush and channel settings.

3 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Scale of things!

Comparison scale - Getting the correct scale in textures is so important it would be nice to have a comparison button so that when clicked you can get a scaled representation of various common items like a man standing, a hand, something larger etc...or a ruler that you can measure in space... It's easy to imagine the textures on a complete object but for example if you are texturing various individual pieces -say parts of building - its easy to get lost on the right size of the textures....

2 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Lock rotation of the 2D window.

Please provide an onscreen toggle to enable/disable rotation of the 2D UV window.

While the ability to rotate the UV view can be useful, this user only ever rotates it by accident, and then has to interrupt working to rotate it back again.

So please, allow us to lock the UV rotation.

2 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Ability to draw your custom normals from zero. Just like in ndo.

In ndo you may draw your custom normals by brush or by selection area in photoshop, then you may customise results: padding, contrast, etc.
    Save them as your custom normals in hard surface dirrectory with automaticaly generated channels of ao, curv, etc.
    2. There is no padding when you export layers in photoshop.Customisable padding needed that will be applied for every layer in channel (for example diffuse).
    3. Import from photoshop. I can export project in photoshop but I cant return it anyway.

4 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Outliner / Isolate specific parts of the object

It would be great if we could have something similar to Maya's outliner so that we could select and isolate specific geometries that are in the same texture set.

2 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Headlight from camera

Sometimes you're not able to see your model well because of lighting, for example from bottom. Or you should rotate panorama each time you change your view. It's tiresome.
    What if we had a headlight option to see our material behavior independently of our view position. Or maybe panorama rotation linked to camera's -the same effect.

4 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Improve wacom support for pro pen

I ahve the pro pen, and in every other 3d software, the round button tumbles (rotate the camera) around the object. No matter how I set this up I can't get it to work correctly in substance painter. The best I can do is set it to alt, and then press it and then hold the pen on the tablet to tumble. But this is way slower than just holding the pen above the table to do it and is more accurate than having 2 actions. It would also make it possible to just use that one button with a…

1 vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Ability to transfer textures from high poly mesh

Is there a way to transfer the textures from a high poly mesh on to a low poly mesh? If so, I haven't found the option yet.

I know this is an option inside of Substance Designer, but it would be helpful to have this feature inside of Painter too.

3 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Possibility to set shortcuts for anything and record macros

Something like photoshop or Modo has will be great.
    For example if I need to set shortcut for creating new mask on selected layer.
    Create new layer, fill layer etc.
    Add paint, generator etc.
    show/hide wireframe

and more created with macros

1 vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Animated textures.

Create a texture timeline workflow for the creation of animated textures that can then be exported to a video format.

1 vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 18 19
  • Don't see your idea?

Substance Painter

Feedback and Knowledge Base