Substance Painter

Let us know how to improve Substance Painter!
Some guidelines before posting:
- This place is dedicated to feature requests and/new ideas suggestions. It is not made for bug reports (you can use the forum or the bug reporters for this).
- Before to create a new ticket, make sure your idea hadn’t been suggested before (if so it’s better to upvote it)
- 1 post = 1 idea

Thanks

How can we improve Substance Painter?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Same features and UX for SBSAR materials between Painter and Designer

If you have ever created a SBSAR material for Painter you may have noticed that the experience of using it in Designer and in Painter is pretty different. There is a bunch of specificities in Painter you have to know in order to make it work as you wish – when possible – and once that done you discover that the UI of your material is not exactly what you had at the beginning in Designer.

Not only this is disturbing (after all it is the same material that is manipulated) but as a material designer it requires quite a…

30 votes
    Sign in Sign in with All Right Reserved
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

planned  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. create something like zBrush stroke roll

zBrush has one cool option for stroke. It is Roll. It is realy powerfull thing! I can't find something like this in painter.
    I create simple test in zBrush and Substance Painter. I used the same alpha for test.
    Here you see zBrush and Painter results:

29 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Allow 360 degree angle for lighting rather than rotating around Up axis

Sometimes I have models that have details on the bottom of the mesh (a car underbody for example) that I cant accurately see what the lighting looks like because Painter only allows for rotating the scene lighting around the Up axis.

33 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Radial Symmetry

Radial Symmetry..

18 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

started  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. export different texture size per texture

in some cases its not desired to have all textures at the full resolution, so it would be nice to be able to specify each texture size in the export template rather than having all exported at the full resolution and then needing to reduce the size in an external software.

51 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

planned  ·  6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Add ability to create/edit channel across all texture sets

Currently if you need to add a new channel (i.e. user0) to an asset that has multiple textures sets (UDIMs), you need to click through each texture set and add the user0 channel manually. This is also true if you want to change the data type of a channel (i.e. change my user0 from 32 bit to 16 bit)

Could we add the ability to create a new channel across all texture sets simultaneously? This could be the same as the Instantiate Across Texture Sets gui.

Thanks,
    Chris

14 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

planned  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Python API

Add a python api Painter similar to the one implemented in Designer.

Regards
    Bonsak

13 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Paint to correct normal map skew like Marmoset

It would be really nice to be able to paint out skewed normal detail with per pixel blending like you can do in Marmoset. There is a plug-in that is kind of a hacky way to do it in the substance share database that works by masking the edges, but it does not work well in all cases, and is kind of annoying to set up. Marmoset does it with per pixel blending, so you can easily paint precise masks to correct for the skew. You can see what I mean here:

https://mk0marmoset2r9got8jk.kinstacdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/skewopt.gif

22 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Non-square UV texturing (2048x1024)

If you create a texture in a non square format (for example 2048x1024), the 2D/UV viewport should reflect the chosen aspect ratio.

PS! I'm sure it is already on the developer's radar. It has been suggested before but the moderator requested a separate post because the original post asked for two different features.

https://allegorithmic.uservoice.com/forums/261284-substance-painter/suggestions/19688869-non-square-uv-texturing-2048x1024-multiple-uv

18 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Save all brush movement in uv(2d) space only! And possibility to move geometry.

When I paint something in 3d view Painter save it in 3d space as projection.
    When I paint something in uv(2d) view Painter save it in uv space. It looks weird as result. For example I want to rotate some part of geometry - visor on the helmet. I rotate visor and reload obj in project. All brush movement in uv view is save, but all brush movement in 3d view looks terrible, because visor now has diffrent position. When saving in 3d space can be more useful then in uv space? I think never. I think Painter need to…

10 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. environment variable support

Trying to set up environments for Painter in film studios is currently a laborious process.

Allowing us to set environment variables which point to project specific shelves and plugins, defined by our virtual environment, would be a huge benefit to the film industry.

6 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Ability to use individual alphas per brush channel

I have a situation where I want to have a set height value, apply an alpha, and stamp it onto the model, but at the same time also stamp a flat color in exactly the same place with its own (different) alpha.

The way I've seen brushes work until now has been that you can only have one alpha for the entire brush, and if you want to do anything more than that, you actually have to custom-build input images for each channel to give the correct values, thus not letting me set a value just using the height slider…

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Duplicate and copy/paste effects

It would be SUPER HANDY if we could duplicate (also copy and paste) the effects we add on the masks (generator / paint / fill / etc). I ran into a situation where I had to put the same text on both sides of a symmetrical mesh, so I did one side and, since the mirror on the software doesn't mirror the fill layers at all, I had to do everything from scratch to the other side. I could have only duplicated the effect and moved the text with the manipulator available for the fill effects.

12 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Color Picker with SRGB and Linear color codes

Currently we cant save a color to a palette or copy an SRGB/Linear hex color code to quickly apply exact same colours between programs and layers.

14 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

started  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Arma 3 Renderer

It would be nice to have an Arma 3 Renderer included in Substance Painter. At the Moment its nearly impossible to create Textures for ArmA with Substance Painter. After the Export the Colors are so Offset that u would need to make completly different textures in Substance Painter to get the right textures exported.

6 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Add ability to export to .tex for renderman support

When working in a renderman pipeline it would be helpful to be able to export to .tex natively from Painter & Designer. It may also be helpful to export .tex and another format in parallel (.tif for example) so the texture can also be viewed in packages other than renderman.

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. change all export size options at once

I would like the option to be able to change all export sizes to one size all at once. instead right now I have to chose each one and change its export size to the correct size before I export.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Select or find layer by name.

A search text box prompt to filter or select all layers with the specified text in their name.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Remember most recent directory for texture export

When creating a new project and adding an .fbx file, the Open dialog starts in the most recent directory where an .fbx file was loaded from. (Which is very convenient, and greatly appreciated!)

Likewise, when saving the project as an .spp file, the Save dialog starts in the most recent directory where a project was saved. (Similarly convenient!)

However, when exporting textures, it always defaults to the user's "Documents/Allegorithmic/Substance Painter/export" directory, regardless of where textures were last exported to... which is a lot less convenient.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Multiple Export Paths

Allow for multiple export paths with different configs for each path to be configured in the Export window.

Example: We need to export some textures with 512x textures to the Unity project for in-game use, but we'd like to export 1k or 2k textures of the same project to a folder outside of the project for rendering in Modo (the renders are used for the UI). And it's not just resolution - while we don't need the emissive maps in Unity (since the emission is done via code/shader), we'd like to use the emissive texture from Painter in Modo for…

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 17 18
  • Don't see your idea?

Substance Painter

Feedback and Knowledge Base