Substance Painter

Let us know how to improve Substance Painter!

How can we improve Substance Painter?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Smoothtool / blurtool, like the nudgetool, but for smoothing

Having a smoothtool in adition to the nudgetool, would raise the bar!
    Often, when blurring/smoothing a mask, the blur will go over the edge of the UV island and we get artifacts. A smoothtool would let us smooth in 3d space and the issue would be resolved. Also, It would have many other usecase examples. Like blurring the end of a drawn line, blurring the ends of drawn height-lines and so on and so forth.

15 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Select face loop option on the Fill Mode

It would be SUPER HANDY if there was an option to select face loops on the Fill Mode to create mask along the loops very quickly. Besides, it could have the option to grow the selection to make it even better.

3 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. "Clear Mask" should not remove the effects stack - rather only the hand-painted part

The "clear mask" option doesn't make much sense currently - there is nearly no use case for it. It removes the content, and the effects stack on the mask.
    If the users should ever want this, they could simply use "remove mask" and add a new one.

But in most workflows you rather have a complex effects stack, and some hand painted strokes on top of it. So once you update the mesh (or exchange it completely) you would want to remove the paint strokes, but keep the effects stack.

Right now there are only unpractical workarounds for this. One…

4 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Bring back the "+" and "-" slider controls that were removed in 2018.

In the latest version (2018), you removed the little "+" and "-" buttons from the slider controls, for things like UV Scale, UV Offset, etc. I used those all the time in previous versions to "nudge" textures into place with very fine control (2 decimal places). Please add them back. Ideally with a preferences setting to specify how many decimal places of accuracy.

It's now very cumbersome to have to constantly click the mouse in the numeric field and enter values manually over and over to get things just right, and just dragging the new slider doesn't offer enough control.

7 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Ability to draw your custom normals from zero. Just like in ndo.

In ndo you may draw your custom normals by brush or by selection area in photoshop, then you may customise results: padding, contrast, etc.
    Save them as your custom normals in hard surface dirrectory with automaticaly generated channels of ao, curv, etc.
    2. There is no padding when you export layers in photoshop.Customisable padding needed that will be applied for every layer in channel (for example diffuse).
    3. Import from photoshop. I can export project in photoshop but I cant return it anyway.

4 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Ability to transfer textures from high poly mesh

Is there a way to transfer the textures from a high poly mesh on to a low poly mesh? If so, I haven't found the option yet.

I know this is an option inside of Substance Designer, but it would be helpful to have this feature inside of Painter too.

3 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Bottom Light

Something I often run in to when I'm texturing characters in Painter is that it's really hard to get enough light on the bottoms of feet and the palms of hands (in a t-pose), because the only lighting available is environment lighting, and the ground in all of the environment captures acts like a light occluder. An optional "bottom light" with some basic functions like intensity and color would be welcome.

5 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Headlight from camera

Sometimes you're not able to see your model well because of lighting, for example from bottom. Or you should rotate panorama each time you change your view. It's tiresome.
    What if we had a headlight option to see our material behavior independently of our view position. Or maybe panorama rotation linked to camera's -the same effect.

3 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Bake IBL into textures

Presentling the light baking filter allows baking base on the lights that are made available...I want to be able to bake lighting directly from an IBL

2 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Pen Pressure button

Pen Pressure button has 2 option : No pressure and Pen Pressure and I have to switch by Press + select option. My question: Why do we have to press + select option while it's only 2 options ?? Why don't we set default as No pressure and Active Pen Pressure when we need ???

As Photoshop, you need Pressure ??? just Enable Air_brush button.

1 vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Decimal separator "," should be accepted

In English, the decimal separator is "."
    However, other languages have "," as the decimal separator.
    On the numpad, there is no ".", but ",".
    Having to go to the keyboard to enter a "." instead of "," is quite cumbersome.
    All other softwares I know accept "," as well.
    Substance Designer / Painter should do the same.

1 vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. double click to change normal map/hard surface stamp

It would be handy if double-clicking the hard surface normal map stamps would change to the one you double click on, similar to how double-clicking an alpha would change to the newly-clicked on alpha. Currently you need to drag the normal map stamp into the normals slot.

1 vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Outliner / Isolate specific parts of the object

It would be great if we could have something similar to Maya's outliner so that we could select and isolate specific geometries that are in the same texture set.

1 vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Easier to see nodes that use custom parameters

Would it be possible to make the nodes using custom parameters more clearly visible when using the Using Custom Parameter search function of the Node Lookup Tool.

At the moment they're rendered as normal with the others being dimmed. This works if there aren't that many nodes in a graph, but when the graph is fairly complex these can be difficult to see. Something like a yellow border around the highlighted node might help greatly in quickly locating them.

1 vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Dedicated video tutorial on painting across UV seams (workaround)

There are a lot of requests for being able to paint across UDIM seams and seams. Allegorithmic have said this won't happen soon, so in the meantime could the team please make a dedicated video tutorial on their tips/hints/various workarounds to this problem. Considering how many times this feature has been asked for and how many posts there are on the forum for this issue, it's really needed, and it would save time for many and be super helpful.

8 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Please allow for an option to set the texture size for all UDIMs at once

Right now, if I have a scene with around 10-12 UDIMs, I have to go into each and manually increase/decrease the texture size which affects the performance in a huge way.

Can we please have a button which lets us select a texture size (eg 512) and apply it across all the UDIMs.

Thanks!

1 vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Paint layers and masks need to preserve brush settings

You create a mask or paint layer, lay down your paint, then come back to it later. Whatever the brush settings were used on this layer are now gone, because you've worked on other layers, so you either attempt to match the brush, or threaten violence against your computer and redo it all to ensure consistency.

These layers should really retain their brush and channel settings.

1 vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Bake 3d stroke layers to preserve stroke position when the model change

When we make last adjustment to models an option to bake 3d strokes would prevent redoing ALL the work...

I understand this is the way painter works but being able to "freeze" the strokes of layer should be 100% feasable and possible.
    I understand thoses layers wouldn't be resolution independant anymore.

Actually the only "way" to do that is rendering the maps and starting over that but we loose all the layers that's very BAD.

Cheers

1 vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Duplicate/move a mask frow a layer to another

It would be great to be able to move a mask or duplicate it from a layer (or folder) to another, like in Photoshop. For example if I create a layer with a mask and then I want to add another layer that applies on the same areas.

8 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Copy content from paint layer to other channels

I ran into a case where I wanted to copy the content of my paint layer then create a fill layer and paste the paint layer content in the mask channel. Even if it was originally color it could still be pasted as gray scale into the mask channel.

1 vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 17 18
  • Don't see your idea?

Substance Painter

Feedback and Knowledge Base