Substance Painter

Let us know how to improve Substance Painter!

How can we improve Substance Painter?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. export different texture size per texture

in some cases its not desired to have all textures at the full resolution, so it would be nice to be able to specify each texture size in the export template rather than having all exported at the full resolution and then needing to reduce the size in an external software.

15 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow 360 degree angle for lighting rather than rotating around Up axis

Sometimes I have models that have details on the bottom of the mesh (a car underbody for example) that I cant accurately see what the lighting looks like because Painter only allows for rotating the scene lighting around the Up axis.

4 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. "Clear Mask" should not remove the effects stack - rather only the hand-painted part

The "clear mask" option doesn't make much sense currently - there is nearly no use case for it. It removes the content, and the effects stack on the mask.
    If the users should ever want this, they could simply use "remove mask" and add a new one.

But in most workflows you rather have a complex effects stack, and some hand painted strokes on top of it. So once you update the mesh (or exchange it completely) you would want to remove the paint strokes, but keep the effects stack.

Right now there are only unpractical workarounds for this. One…

14 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Paint to correct normal map skew like Marmoset

It would be really nice to be able to paint out skewed normal detail with per pixel blending like you can do in Marmoset. There is a plug-in that is kind of a hacky way to do it in the substance share database that works by masking the edges, but it does not work well in all cases, and is kind of annoying to set up. Marmoset does it with per pixel blending, so you can easily paint precise masks to correct for the skew. You can see what I mean here:

https://mk0marmoset2r9got8jk.kinstacdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/skewopt.gif

2 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Play a sound when done exporting

I've been exporting 4K textures for the first time, they take a couple of minutes to export, which I do not expend looking at the progress bar, and it doesn't show on windows "peak" because it doesn't create it as a new window.

Something I'm missing, maybe simple to implement, that would help ux, is to play a alert sound when exporting is done, similar to what is done in editing software like Premiere or After Effects.

2 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Ability to draw your custom normals from zero. Just like in ndo.

In ndo you may draw your custom normals by brush or by selection area in photoshop, then you may customise results: padding, contrast, etc.
    Save them as your custom normals in hard surface dirrectory with automaticaly generated channels of ao, curv, etc.
    2. There is no padding when you export layers in photoshop.Customisable padding needed that will be applied for every layer in channel (for example diffuse).
    3. Import from photoshop. I can export project in photoshop but I cant return it anyway.

10 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Ability to save a generator's parameters as a preset

Similar to how a user may save their parameter tweaks in Substance Player as a Preset, I would love this ability within Painter. Having this would reduce some of the (much requested) need for copy/paste between channels and Fill Layers. Instead, I could tweak a particular generator to my liking, save it as a preset, then apply that same generator elsewhere and choose that saved preset.

1 vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Deleting old meshes, dragging and dropping new meshes

It would be efficient to be able to delete a single geometry and importing back thought using drag and drop.

1 vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. export textures maps of different assets to different folders at once.

It would be great to be able to export texture of the different assets or materials to different folders at once you export all the texture.

Example: I have a hat, a pants and a shirt. I want export them to a specific folder like "Hat folder" and so on .

1 vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Export selected textures only - per texture set - and being able to override resolution per texture

1. I would like to be able to simply disable some of the textures on exporting the set.

For example i am having albedo, metallic, roughness, normal and ao.
    Sometimes i do not heed the ao and metallic maps. Other time i do not need the normal.

Currently i should create a ton of texture configurations or i have to export all the textures every time and delete these that i don't need.

2. Being able to override the resolution per texture on export is also really helpful. This is however already suggested.

1 vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Color Picker with SRGB and Linear color codes

Currently we cant save a color to a palette or copy an SRGB/Linear hex color code to quickly apply exact same colours between programs and layers.

1 vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Solo channel of a layer by Ctrl+Click (Substance Painter)

When creating a new Fill layer that you want to influence only one channel you need to deselect all others manually and its very repetitive if you are building a big project with a lot of channels.
    A simple Ctrl+Click can deselect all other channels automatically will speed up the my work considerably. Is anyone else needing this feature?

1 vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Random alpha from selection, or image sequence on brush alpha to paint different shape leaves, feathers, rocks etc.

I would love to see the option of adding a random alpha that changes as you paint. (maybe from an image sequence, or dragging more than one alpha into the brush alpha slot).

Each painted stroke would choose a different alpha based on the alpha spacing.

For painting different shaped leaves, bird feathers etc.

1 vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Render region in iRay

Now we can import cameras that can't be accidently moved. (thank you) I set up all my scenes this way when rendering in iRay. To add the ability to just render a section of a scene would be really useful and time saving.

1 vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Outliner / Isolate specific parts of the object

It would be great if we could have something similar to Maya's outliner so that we could select and isolate specific geometries that are in the same texture set.

4 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Make 'file type' per texture instead of global export option

I often want to export a bunch of maps as one format (.JPG) but still have some as another format (.PNG). It would save me so much time if I could set the file type per map instead of as a global setting.
    So, for example, I might export:

BaseColor: JPG 50% Compression
    Normal: PNG
    Roughness: JPG 75% Compression
    etc...

3 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Copy content from paint layer to its mask

I ran into a case where I wanted to copy the content of my paint layer then create a fill layer and paste the paint layer content in the mask channel. Even if it was originally color it could still be pasted as gray scale into the mask channel.

7 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. IRay Renderer Profile Save

Let's say for this particular shot I rotate the environment; change the FOV; orbit the camera around, adjust after post effects and do other rendering effects. Great! I saved the rendered environment as an image file and move on towards the next planned shot of course changing the rendering settings.

But then there's a minor tweak I have to adjust in the previous render shot and to go back to that previous shot I have to adjust my render settings to match or closely match it. That's a lot of work.

Which is why I think it would be a…

2 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Layer's folder in archive

I think it would be greate to make some folders like Archives, with no update feature. Something like render all folder content into a single texture and turn off all others below.

Archive could be get back to usable mode if user needs to make changes.

It makes work easer for big documents with tons of layers. Maybe this feature could be added to SmartMaterials, I mean use smart material like the archive.

1 vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Select face loop option on the Fill Mode

It would be SUPER HANDY if there was an option to select face loops on the Fill Mode to create mask along the loops very quickly. Besides, it could have the option to grow the selection to make it even better.

5 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 15 16
  • Don't see your idea?

Substance Painter

Feedback and Knowledge Base