Substance Painter

Let us know how to improve Substance Painter!
Some guidelines before posting:
- This place is dedicated to feature requests and/new ideas suggestions. It is not made for bug reports (you can use the forum or the bug reporters for this).
- Before to create a new ticket, make sure your idea hadn’t been suggested before (if so it’s better to upvote it)
- 1 post = 1 idea

Thanks

1. Same features and UX for SBSAR materials between Painter and Designer

If you have ever created a SBSAR material for Painter you may have noticed that the experience of using it in Designer and in Painter is pretty different. There is a bunch of specificities in Painter you have to know in order to make it work as you wish – when possible – and once that done you discover that the UI of your material is not exactly what you had at the beginning in Designer.

Not only this is disturbing (after all it is the same material that is manipulated) but as a material designer it requires quite a…

33 votes
    Sign in Sign in with All Right Reserved
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

started  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Copy paste / Drag and drop sub layers and mask layers.

We can already reorder sub layers... However, being able to copy and paste any sub layers/mask layers (filters, fills, levels) is kind of missing. Also, being able to drag and drop them from one layer (or mask layer) to another would be nice.

10 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. RTX support

Allow support for RTX to speed up the baking process (similar to designer)

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. create something like zBrush stroke roll

zBrush has one cool option for stroke. It is Roll. It is realy powerfull thing! I can't find something like this in painter.
    I create simple test in zBrush and Substance Painter. I used the same alpha for test.
    Here you see zBrush and Painter results:

33 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. bake curvature from mesh

Right now the curvature is generated from the Normal Map which leaves artefacts and gaps. Since a lot of smart materials are driven by curvature maps, curvature from mesh would be a crucial addition to painter's bakers.

6 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Separate (multiple) 2D / 3D viewports

The idea was coined by user Retry on the forum here:

https://forum.substance3d.com/index.php/topic,30094.0

The request is to faciltate the ability to check the work immediately on a different screen with a different camera. The most obvious example is being able to paint in the 2D view (UV view) and seeing the 3D view update; preferably on different monitors as well. As Retry's example outlines, painting on the Cintiq and seeing 3D viewport updates on the second monitor.

An example from Mari, it allows you to view your work simultaneously from different angles practically immediately after "baking" the paint strokes. This makes…

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Display shelf content as list.

Display shelf content as list (with full names) and/or detailed list (with texture resolution, format, etc)
    To see the full name now, you need to place the cursor over the preview and wait, or set the shelf display to large.

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Polygon fill erase

Need possibility to erase by polygons, meshes and uv shells.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Allow 360 degree angle for lighting rather than rotating around Up axis

Sometimes I have models that have details on the bottom of the mesh (a car underbody for example) that I cant accurately see what the lighting looks like because Painter only allows for rotating the scene lighting around the Up axis.

39 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Add ability to create/edit channel across all texture sets

Currently if you need to add a new channel (i.e. user0) to an asset that has multiple textures sets (UDIMs), you need to click through each texture set and add the user0 channel manually. This is also true if you want to change the data type of a channel (i.e. change my user0 from 32 bit to 16 bit)

Could we add the ability to create a new channel across all texture sets simultaneously? This could be the same as the Instantiate Across Texture Sets gui.

Thanks,
    Chris

18 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

planned  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Duplicate and copy/paste effects

It would be SUPER HANDY if we could duplicate (also copy and paste) the effects we add on the masks (generator / paint / fill / etc). I ran into a situation where I had to put the same text on both sides of a symmetrical mesh, so I did one side and, since the mirror on the software doesn't mirror the fill layers at all, I had to do everything from scratch to the other side. I could have only duplicated the effect and moved the text with the manipulator available for the fill effects.

29 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. export different texture size per texture

in some cases its not desired to have all textures at the full resolution, so it would be nice to be able to specify each texture size in the export template rather than having all exported at the full resolution and then needing to reduce the size in an external software.

60 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

planned  ·  7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Substance Painter - Ability to apply Adjustment Curve to remap textures

Hi guys.
    Please release this patch ASAP!

We do not have the ability to remap textures that plug into channel input slots. But this is critical to the texturing workflow!

Any channel or port, such as color, roughness and so on, that can accept a texture should have the ability to offer remapping controls for that texture.

We need spline based remapping as in the Adobe Photoshop Curves adjustment. The levels controller is terrible.

Good examples to reference include the 3ds max has a node called "Output".

This way we can source 1 texture, plug it into a texture slot…

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Python API

Add a python api Painter similar to the one implemented in Designer.

Regards
    Bonsak

15 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. procedural alpha's not vector when working with brush

as i can tell from the title, procedural alpha's not vector when working with brush. it is vector when working with stencil, but it's much better and easy to work with brush you know! i hope this kinda thing get fixed.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Save all brush movement in uv(2d) space only! And possibility to move geometry.

When I paint something in 3d view Painter save it in 3d space as projection.
    When I paint something in uv(2d) view Painter save it in uv space. It looks weird as result. For example I want to rotate some part of geometry - visor on the helmet. I rotate visor and reload obj in project. All brush movement in uv view is save, but all brush movement in 3d view looks terrible, because visor now has diffrent position. When saving in 3d space can be more useful then in uv space? I think never. I think Painter need to…

14 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. More controls for HDRI Environments

It would be great to be able to set apply a HSL filter to the environments. This way we could easily modify the color hue of the environment, make it greyscale if we don't want any colors to affect the textures, and so on.Also would be cool to apply a Blur filter if we want to make the environment reflections on the model softer, and why not let us rotate the environment also verticaly.
    These features are super handy for people who use the bake environment lighting filter.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Paint to correct normal map skew like Marmoset

It would be really nice to be able to paint out skewed normal detail with per pixel blending like you can do in Marmoset. There is a plug-in that is kind of a hacky way to do it in the substance share database that works by masking the edges, but it does not work well in all cases, and is kind of annoying to set up. Marmoset does it with per pixel blending, so you can easily paint precise masks to correct for the skew. You can see what I mean here:

https://mk0marmoset2r9got8jk.kinstacdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/skewopt.gif

24 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Non-square UV texturing (2048x1024)

If you create a texture in a non square format (for example 2048x1024), the 2D/UV viewport should reflect the chosen aspect ratio.

PS! I'm sure it is already on the developer's radar. It has been suggested before but the moderator requested a separate post because the original post asked for two different features.

https://allegorithmic.uservoice.com/forums/261284-substance-painter/suggestions/19688869-non-square-uv-texturing-2048x1024-multiple-uv

21 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. environment variable support

Trying to set up environments for Painter in film studios is currently a laborious process.

Allowing us to set environment variables which point to project specific shelves and plugins, defined by our virtual environment, would be a huge benefit to the film industry.

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 19 20
  • Don't see your idea?

Substance Painter

Feedback and Knowledge Base