Substance Painter

Let us know how to improve Substance Painter!
Some guidelines before posting:
- This place is dedicated to feature requests and/new ideas suggestions. It is not made for bug reports (you can use the forum or the bug reporters for this).
- Before to create a new ticket, make sure your idea hadn’t been suggested before (if so it’s better to upvote it)
- 1 post = 1 idea

Thanks

How can we improve Substance Painter?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. create something like zBrush stroke roll

zBrush has one cool option for stroke. It is Roll. It is realy powerfull thing! I can't find something like this in painter.
    I create simple test in zBrush and Substance Painter. I used the same alpha for test.
    Here you see zBrush and Painter results:

20 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. export different texture size per texture

in some cases its not desired to have all textures at the full resolution, so it would be nice to be able to specify each texture size in the export template rather than having all exported at the full resolution and then needing to reduce the size in an external software.

46 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

planned  ·  6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Allow 360 degree angle for lighting rather than rotating around Up axis

Sometimes I have models that have details on the bottom of the mesh (a car underbody for example) that I cant accurately see what the lighting looks like because Painter only allows for rotating the scene lighting around the Up axis.

21 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Add ability to create/edit channel across all texture sets

Currently if you need to add a new channel (i.e. user0) to an asset that has multiple textures sets (UDIMs), you need to click through each texture set and add the user0 channel manually. This is also true if you want to change the data type of a channel (i.e. change my user0 from 32 bit to 16 bit)

Could we add the ability to create a new channel across all texture sets simultaneously? This could be the same as the Instantiate Across Texture Sets gui.

Thanks,
    Chris

9 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

planned  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Radial Symmetry

Radial Symmetry..

10 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

started  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Python API

Add a python api Painter similar to the one implemented in Designer.

Regards
    Bonsak

8 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Save all brush movement in uv(2d) space only! And possibility to move geometry.

When I paint something in 3d view Painter save it in 3d space as projection.
    When I paint something in uv(2d) view Painter save it in uv space. It looks weird as result. For example I want to rotate some part of geometry - visor on the helmet. I rotate visor and reload obj in project. All brush movement in uv view is save, but all brush movement in 3d view looks terrible, because visor now has diffrent position. When saving in 3d space can be more useful then in uv space? I think never. I think Painter need to…

8 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Paint to correct normal map skew like Marmoset

It would be really nice to be able to paint out skewed normal detail with per pixel blending like you can do in Marmoset. There is a plug-in that is kind of a hacky way to do it in the substance share database that works by masking the edges, but it does not work well in all cases, and is kind of annoying to set up. Marmoset does it with per pixel blending, so you can easily paint precise masks to correct for the skew. You can see what I mean here:

https://mk0marmoset2r9got8jk.kinstacdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/skewopt.gif

16 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Add ability to export to .tex for renderman support

When working in a renderman pipeline it would be helpful to be able to export to .tex natively from Painter & Designer. It may also be helpful to export .tex and another format in parallel (.tif for example) so the texture can also be viewed in packages other than renderman.

5 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. environment variable support

Trying to set up environments for Painter in film studios is currently a laborious process.

Allowing us to set environment variables which point to project specific shelves and plugins, defined by our virtual environment, would be a huge benefit to the film industry.

3 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Duplicate and copy/paste effects

It would be SUPER HANDY if we could duplicate (also copy and paste) the effects we add on the masks (generator / paint / fill / etc). I ran into a situation where I had to put the same text on both sides of a symmetrical mesh, so I did one side and, since the mirror on the software doesn't mirror the fill layers at all, I had to do everything from scratch to the other side. I could have only duplicated the effect and moved the text with the manipulator available for the fill effects.

7 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. "Clear Mask" should not remove the effects stack - rather only the hand-painted part

The "clear mask" option doesn't make much sense currently - there is nearly no use case for it. It removes the content, and the effects stack on the mask.
    If the users should ever want this, they could simply use "remove mask" and add a new one.

But in most workflows you rather have a complex effects stack, and some hand painted strokes on top of it. So once you update the mesh (or exchange it completely) you would want to remove the paint strokes, but keep the effects stack.

Right now there are only unpractical workarounds for this. One…

23 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Arma 3 Renderer

It would be nice to have an Arma 3 Renderer included in Substance Painter. At the Moment its nearly impossible to create Textures for ArmA with Substance Painter. After the Export the Colors are so Offset that u would need to make completly different textures in Substance Painter to get the right textures exported.

4 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Remember most recent directory for texture export

When creating a new project and adding an .fbx file, the Open dialog starts in the most recent directory where an .fbx file was loaded from. (Which is very convenient, and greatly appreciated!)

Likewise, when saving the project as an .spp file, the Save dialog starts in the most recent directory where a project was saved. (Similarly convenient!)

However, when exporting textures, it always defaults to the user's "Documents/Allegorithmic/Substance Painter/export" directory, regardless of where textures were last exported to... which is a lot less convenient.

2 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Stencil invert

I would like to request the ability to invert the stencil. (not the brush color). Right now i have duplicate the maps and invert them in another package.

7 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. 1 vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Orthographic snap

When rotating in orthographic view holding shift to snap to 90 degree angles. Makes it quick and easy to place logos and such.

3 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Lock Viewport navigation while rendering with Iray

Accidentally moved my mouse while rendering with Iray. As a result, the render started all over again! This would be disastrous if rendering an image for several hours, only to have it completely lost in a split second. The option to lock all viewport navigation (translation, rotation, and panning) while rendering with Iray would be an extremely welcome feature. Thanks!

2 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Copy content from paint layer to its mask

I ran into a case where I wanted to copy the content of my paint layer then create a fill layer and paste the paint layer content in the mask channel. Even if it was originally color it could still be pasted as gray scale into the mask channel.

17 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Option to ignore UV errors upon import (maybe flag them also)

I work in a big VFX studios and many times, deadlines and exchange of geometry across studios, force you not to always have 2000 uv perfect shells.
    Sometimes we would be happy to ignore a few overlapping borders for example.

Please allow us to import models by ignoring UV errors so to speed up execution and production.

Thanks

2 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 17 18
  • Don't see your idea?

Substance Painter

Feedback and Knowledge Base