Substance Painter

Let us know how to improve Substance Painter!
Some guidelines before posting:
- This place is dedicated to feature requests and/new ideas suggestions. It is not made for bug reports (you can use the forum or the bug reporters for this).
- Before to create a new ticket, make sure your idea hadn’t been suggested before (if so it’s better to upvote it)
- 1 post = 1 idea

Thanks

How can we improve Substance Painter?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. export different texture size per texture

in some cases its not desired to have all textures at the full resolution, so it would be nice to be able to specify each texture size in the export template rather than having all exported at the full resolution and then needing to reduce the size in an external software.

39 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

planned  ·  5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow 360 degree angle for lighting rather than rotating around Up axis

Sometimes I have models that have details on the bottom of the mesh (a car underbody for example) that I cant accurately see what the lighting looks like because Painter only allows for rotating the scene lighting around the Up axis.

14 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. create something like zBrush stroke roll

zBrush has one cool option for stroke. It is Roll. It is realy powerfull thing! I can't find something like this in painter.
    I create simple test in zBrush and Substance Painter. I used the same alpha for test.
    Here you see zBrush and Painter results:

7 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Add ability to create/edit channel across all texture sets

Currently if you need to add a new channel (i.e. user0) to an asset that has multiple textures sets (UDIMs), you need to click through each texture set and add the user0 channel manually. This is also true if you want to change the data type of a channel (i.e. change my user0 from 32 bit to 16 bit)

Could we add the ability to create a new channel across all texture sets simultaneously? This could be the same as the Instantiate Across Texture Sets gui.

Thanks,
    Chris

6 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Save all brush movement in uv(2d) space only! And possibility to move geometry.

When I paint something in 3d view Painter save it in 3d space as projection.
    When I paint something in uv(2d) view Painter save it in uv space. It looks weird as result. For example I want to rotate some part of geometry - visor on the helmet. I rotate visor and reload obj in project. All brush movement in uv view is save, but all brush movement in 3d view looks terrible, because visor now has diffrent position. When saving in 3d space can be more useful then in uv space? I think never. I think Painter need to…

5 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Draw an editable curve for guiding a brush

It will be very helpful for drawing stitches or grooves in UV viewport. Lazy mouse requires constant undo and redo actions.

4 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. "Clear Mask" should not remove the effects stack - rather only the hand-painted part

The "clear mask" option doesn't make much sense currently - there is nearly no use case for it. It removes the content, and the effects stack on the mask.
    If the users should ever want this, they could simply use "remove mask" and add a new one.

But in most workflows you rather have a complex effects stack, and some hand painted strokes on top of it. So once you update the mesh (or exchange it completely) you would want to remove the paint strokes, but keep the effects stack.

Right now there are only unpractical workarounds for this. One…

19 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Arma 3 Renderer

It would be nice to have an Arma 3 Renderer included in Substance Painter. At the Moment its nearly impossible to create Textures for ArmA with Substance Painter. After the Export the Colors are so Offset that u would need to make completly different textures in Substance Painter to get the right textures exported.

3 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Follow path with connected alphas

It would be great to have an option when using tileable alpha textures with the follow path to have the drawn alpha deform/bend to connect

2 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Radial Symmetry

Radial Symmetry..

3 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Copy content from paint layer to its mask

I ran into a case where I wanted to copy the content of my paint layer then create a fill layer and paste the paint layer content in the mask channel. Even if it was originally color it could still be pasted as gray scale into the mask channel.

13 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Lock Viewport navigation while rendering with Iray

Accidentally moved my mouse while rendering with Iray. As a result, the render started all over again! This would be disastrous if rendering an image for several hours, only to have it completely lost in a split second. The option to lock all viewport navigation (translation, rotation, and panning) while rendering with Iray would be an extremely welcome feature. Thanks!

2 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Headlight from camera

Sometimes you're not able to see your model well because of lighting, for example from bottom. Or you should rotate panorama each time you change your view. It's tiresome.
    What if we had a headlight option to see our material behavior independently of our view position. Or maybe panorama rotation linked to camera's -the same effect.

14 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Outliner / Isolate specific parts of the object

It would be great if we could have something similar to Maya's outliner so that we could select and isolate specific geometries that are in the same texture set.

8 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Turn back us old Baking Lighting Environment!

New version absolutly ugly and useless! Why you did it???

1 vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Duplicate and copy/paste effects

It would be SUPER HANDY if we could duplicate (also copy and paste) the effects we add on the masks (generator / paint / fill / etc). I ran into a situation where I had to put the same text on both sides of a symmetrical mesh, so I did one side and, since the mirror on the software doesn't mirror the fill layers at all, I had to do everything from scratch to the other side. I could have only duplicated the effect and moved the text with the manipulator available for the fill effects.

4 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Layer's folder in archive

I think it would be greate to make some folders like Archives, with no update feature. Something like render all folder content into a single texture and turn off all others below.

Archive could be get back to usable mode if user needs to make changes.

It makes work easer for big documents with tons of layers. Maybe this feature could be added to SmartMaterials, I mean use smart material like the archive.

5 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Mirror-symmetric capture function suggestion

It is recommended to add the vertex capture function to move the mirror axis to achieve local symmetry. It is better if you can add the symmetry axis to rotate at an angle.

2 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Play a sound when done exporting

I've been exporting 4K textures for the first time, they take a couple of minutes to export, which I do not expend looking at the progress bar, and it doesn't show on windows "peak" because it doesn't create it as a new window.

Something I'm missing, maybe simple to implement, that would help ux, is to play a alert sound when exporting is done, similar to what is done in editing software like Premiere or After Effects.

4 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Keep original pivot point translation in gltf export

Keep original pivot point translation from the FBX in gltf export. Now the pivot point is reset to the center of the model, models that require a pivot point on a different location will have to be adjusted after gltf conversion.

1 vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 16 17
  • Don't see your idea?

Substance Painter

Feedback and Knowledge Base