Substance Painter

Let us know how to improve Substance Painter!

How can we improve Substance Painter?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Stencil and Projection Free Transform

Stencil and projection free transform option, ability to deform the stencil on the fly will add a lot of flexibility to the workflow.

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Polygon Fill needs projection toggle

Polygon Fill needs toggle to turn off projecting through the mesh, so just what's present gets selected, not everything projected through to the backside of the model as well.
    I often just want to select a rectangular patch, especially in quick mask, and have to carefully deselect everything behind it after the fact every time.

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Brush Settings Presets

Add the ability to save/restore brush settings quickly. I'm constantly bumping flow/opacity/spacing up and down and presets with my preferred brush settings would be greatly speed up my workflow.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Bridge with Affinity Photo

Make a bridge/link like the one with photoshop, but with Affinity Photo. Send the channels to Affinity Photo to make adjustments and go back to Substance Painter with the changes.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Command Line Exporting

To add Substance Painter to the farm we need to specify these options via the command line:
    - project to load
    - texture set(s) to export
    - export preset to use
    - textures in the preset to export

The goal for us is to take the 1h+ export time and split it among 20 computers each exporting a single texture (normal, diffuse, etc) for a single UDIM.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. change the name of the material inside of painter without reimporting the mesh

As an outsource partner i run into this a lot, I get files that have to be integrated and the material name isn't always what it is supposed to be, and sometimes the material name changes in the middle of the texturing process which causes me to spend a couple of hours manually renaming tifs, psd, etc, and at that point reimporting the mesh with the proper material name is just not possible.

SO! my suggestion is that you are able to change the material name inside of painter without reimporting the mesh. this would allow tifs psd etc. to…

69 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Other downloads

Might be nice to have a way to download plugins for other versions (eg. Houdini 15... you only have version 16 for the windows download.)

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Remember Selected Layer Between Texture Sets

Have the program remember which layer you had selected last in each texture set. It seem to switch to the top layer of the stack for each. There are many times while painting that I want to see something in another stack only to return to a different set and start painting in the wrong layer.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Scripting: import into shelf and assign to slot in layer stack

In order to fully automate fixing normal map baking errors by blending an averaged and non-averaged map, we need to be able to do this in scripting:

-Import textures into the shelf.
    -Assign textures to specific slots from items on the layer stack.

97 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. VR HMD Previews or painting - HTC Vive iRay Viewport Painting

It would be great if we could paint in a 3d viewport in an HMD like the Vive. See our object Using iRay and paint using one controller for rotation and the other for the brush.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Free WASD camera navigation

Adding WASD free camera movement (like unity). This allows you to paint indoor scenes a lot easier. Now I'm struggling really hard to get a wall in view.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Allow the export of the 2d viewport as a diffuse texture

Allowing the user to export exactly what they see in the 2d view as their diffuse texture map. This feature benefits all of us that do not mesh and texture for PBR games but instead mobile and non-PBR related games.

I have been requesting it since 1.7 and i'm not the only one who would greatly enjoy this feature.

Enviromental baking doesn't simply do it for me, it still looks cheap and gritty compared to just painfully trying to gyazo the 2d and using photoshop to paste it over the UV "Which defeats the whole reason of having substance painter…

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Expose the camera transform values

To render an object I like to have the camera at a set distance and angle, and that is just not possible... we have to keep rotating the camera in free mode hoping to get it right ... well, it'd be very nice to be able to just write the angle and the position in a transform panel.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Autonomous Render/Load Thumbnails In Shelf

I'd like for the thumbnails in the shelf to load/generate without one having to select the category or having to scroll down to get them all generated.

For example, launch Painter, go get coffee, all thumbnails are generated.

As it is now, one can let it sit there and it will not generate thumbnails beyond the ones currently visible in the shelf.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Merge TextureSet

It would be great if there is an option where you can merge TextureSets. Or in the TextureSet List or as an output.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. UI & +++ ...

UI is tiny small and hard to read ... no name under icons option, nowhere to find how to install plugins nor other files ... !!! Have I mention how to place files into the working environment?

I am working with all top rated 3D applications and this one, "SUBSTANCE PAINTER 2" is hands down the most difficult app to even start ...

UI is totally unintuitive and so all in all, it is very hard to find a reason for one star out of ten!

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. sketchfab

Currently Substance Painter allows export to sketchfab only in .jpeg which have really poor quality, please allow to export .png format

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. New layer of type Graph

It would be so powerful to have a new layer type that would be a graph.
    Mari added it in version 3 and it is so cool!!
    Watch this: https://vimeo.com/147448298

The layer could be edited - either in a specific graph view or even in Substance Designer, and the design, workflow, available nodes would be exactly the same as SD.
    This graph should support the use of .sbs and .sbsar (with an option to keep them as external files) and it should be possible to export it as .sbs.

Among the advantages of this layer we have:
    - access to…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Can substance developers add a alpha channel?

Hi, i was wondering can substance developers add a alpha channel, for example, when using some of the alpha textures, like the pipe greebles when stamping them to a object mesh, the pipe greebles will look better if it had a alpha channel, then i can see just, the pipes and not the mesh. I have a video presentation, to show the example. thank you for time.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4 5 25 26
  • Don't see your idea?

Substance Painter

Feedback and Knowledge Base