Substance Painter

Let us know how to improve Substance Painter!

How can we improve Substance Painter?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. change the name of the material inside of painter without reimporting the mesh

As an outsource partner i run into this a lot, I get files that have to be integrated and the material name isn't always what it is supposed to be, and sometimes the material name changes in the middle of the texturing process which causes me to spend a couple of hours manually renaming tifs, psd, etc, and at that point reimporting the mesh with the proper material name is just not possible.

SO! my suggestion is that you are able to change the material name inside of painter without reimporting the mesh. this would allow tifs psd etc. to…

44 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    planned  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Scripting: import into shelf and assign to slot in layer stack

In order to fully automate fixing normal map baking errors by blending an averaged and non-averaged map, we need to be able to do this in scripting:

-Import textures into the shelf.
    -Assign textures to specific slots from items on the layer stack.

62 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Free WASD camera navigation

Adding WASD free camera movement (like unity). This allows you to paint indoor scenes a lot easier. Now I'm struggling really hard to get a wall in view.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Spawn Particles from a baked map's luminance value

The idea is based on the particle paint system except that instead of painting the particles onto the surface using brush strokes, the darkness from an ambient occlusion map controls the area's from which the particles are spawned.
    This will create dripping effects that come out from the cracks of a model.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. DPI Scaling

Please add an option in settings to control the DPI Scaling of the UI so buttons/UI can be scaled up or down depending on monitor resolutions (ex: 1920x1080 up to 8K). Currently buttons are either too huge or too small. Allow users to control how big/little they want the UI.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. the idea for the convenient use of "shelf"

Good afternoon! I work in your package, and I like it, but as the work I had some ideas at the expense of "shelf" and I would like them to sound. Why not make a separate button on the top of the "shelf", what would it be able to press and it opens it up to full screen. But then, when you choose the right mask, for example, and takes the mouse cursor to the area of ​​"shelf", it automatically disappears. And to make a hotkey for "shelf", what would it be able to press, hold, hover over what you…

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Paint flow map (drives anisotropy for specular reflections).

Flow maps (also cold comb maps when used for in-game hair) are vector maps that are mainly used for animated shaders (flowing hot lava) or to drive the anisotropy effect of specular reflections for hairs.

Currently there is no perfect solution for painting flowmaps. Mari by far has the best implementation of a vector tool, but having to buy Mari just for this is not convenient.

Here is a video of how to "hack" paint a flow map using 2d painting software like photoshop, painshop pro or krita:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9KRnh3cROw

The shown technique is far away from perfect.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Highres export on the CPU

As much as I like the speed of handling everything on the gpu, it is quite cumbersome or even next to impossible to export 8k maps from painter. Yes I know it is still experimental, but let|s face it, exporting 8k maps doesnt lend itself to be handeled on the gpu. I have a 4 GB card and exporting 8k is a hit and miss situation. If Highres export would be handeled on the cpu and system memory we could export even bigger maps. System ram is cheap. I have a 64GB machine and I don|t mind waiting a little…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Brush spacing preview or arrange tool

Hi there,

Here's my idea:

Like the patterns in the picture below, I want to paint a row of them(by holding ctrl+shift ),and leave about the same space on both sides.
    So before painting,I need to know exactly how they're gonna be arranged on the surface by the spacing value I set on brush.
    But for now I have to paint and undo, again and again until I get the result I want. :(

So it would be nice to add a preview of it in main view, maybe a toggle on tool menu or something.
    Or perhaps a new…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Distance measurement and snapping when painting a straight line.

It would be usefull to be able to see the lenght of a line that is beeing drawn with the Shift-Click method aswell as beeing able to set a snapping interval.
    That would greatly increase the precision of hand painted symmetry on non-world-centered objects.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Specify image output size and file type for each channel

I would sometimes like to be able to export my User channels (using those for masks) as png 8-bits with a lower resolution than my other maps such as Diffuse, Roughness, Height, etc. I usually export my Diffuse and Roughness as a 16 bit Tiff and my height as an 32-bit EXR with 4k or 8k in resolution depending on the asset, how many tiles, uv layout, etc. However, sometimes I also do masks that are very simple that would only need to be a png 8-bit and just 1k or even less in resolution. So instead of having to…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Support Quadro M5000M

I've been unable to use Substance since purchasing my new MSI laptop equipped with a Quadro M5000M. With each new release I try it out hoping the card is supported and continue to be disappointed. I continue to update to the latest drivers and still no dice. Please help!!

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Make it faster

This software is criminally slow! I'm just using regular brushes nothing procedural so why is it loading every stroke? None of this is happening to me in Mudbox and it's primary focus isn't on texturing. By the way this is happening on a studio PC so the specs aren't the issue.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Add image save options (dds, png, jpg...)

It would be great to have the ability to configure image format specific settings. For instance PNG and JPG compression, DDS format options such as mipmap generation etc.
    Basically expose a lot more options that are available in FreeImage.

There are already some suggestions that partially covers this one:
    https://allegorithmic.uservoice.com/forums/270786-integrations/suggestions/6661878-bc5-texture-compression-for-normal-maps
    https://allegorithmic.uservoice.com/forums/270785-substance-b2m/suggestions/6660358-please-add-option-to-remove-alpha
    https://allegorithmic.uservoice.com/forums/257908-substance-designer/suggestions/15631275-better-dds-exporter

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Streamline SHADER SELECTION in the IRAY window

When using multiple shaders in Iray, it is awkward to change the shader if you want varying MDL parameters (such as Refraction or Scattering) on different materials.

Currently (unless I'm overlooking something), you need to:
    0) First create different Shader "Instances" so you can have different MDL parameters.
    1) Go into Iray mode
    2) Set the MDL parameters for Shader #1
    3) Exit Iray mode and return to normal "painter" mode
    4) Pick a different Texture Set that uses a different shader
    5) Go into Iray mode
    6) Set the MDL parameters for Shader #2
    7) Repeat steps 3,4,5,6 for…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Substance Painter scene organizer aka ''Outliner"

Would be great to add new or additional geo into painter scene. And abilitiy to reload selected part of geo. As in Marmoset.
    Also possibility to import a camera. And ability to freeze the camera position.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Modify the transform of fill layers in the UV view

Modify the transform of fill layers in the UV view like it is possible for the Transform 2D node in Substance Designer. This way it would be much easier to place decals or adjusting a layer.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Subdivion support for meshes

Would be great to be able to import edge weighted sub-d meshes as high poly. It's a bit annoying to have to freeze out the geometry and export massive files, often splitting them up.

In the long run, it would be ace if we could paint onto sub-d meshes in the viewport, with an implementation of opensubdiv or something :)

It's only a matter of time (in my opinion) before it becomes more popular in games.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Transfert layer mask to quick mask

Possibility to take mask information from a layer and put it in quick mask selection.
    With this we will be able to re-paint selected area informations on an other layer mask.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Add quick mask to undo/redo stack

Working with quick masks is frustrating at best right now. You can't undo any quick mask selection/deselection and it disrupts the creative process to have to go back and redo a selection instead of just undoing. This is exacerbated by the fact that substance painter sometimes selects the wrong UV shell or selects more UV shells than wanted, leading you to constantly having to fix painter's selection errors.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4 5 23 24
  • Don't see your idea?

Substance Painter

Feedback and Knowledge Base