How can we improve Substance Designer?

search

Improve the search -

e.g. make typing 'dirt2' or even 'dir2' gives you 'Dirt 2';
'bluhq' or 'blurhq' gives you 'Blur HQ', 'blurhqg' gives you 'Blur HQ Grayscale';
'gray c' gives you 'Grayscale conversion'.

I've seen this implemented in some programs, I think the term is fuzzy search, and it's really quite handy when you get used to it, which doens't take very long. It's way faster for me to just type 'blurhqg', especially since you tend to memorize these for nodes you use very often.

Also, this is kind of included in the fuzzy search idea, typing 'dirt' and then 'edge', so the field says 'dirt edge', it would be cool if that gave you 'edge dirt'.

7 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Niels Fechtel shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Niels Fechtel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How, specifically, is this Completed? :P
    Things like "dirt2" that I mentioned still give me no search-result, and what surferlama commented also doesn't happen in my update? I'm on 2018.3.1.

• surferlama commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

> it would be cool if the "Blur HQ Grayscale"-search-result would be on the top, so that you can immediately press enter to select it.

for me its more important than "fuzzy search" :)

• Niels Fechtel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for your comment :) I rewrote the suggestion, but there doesn't seem to be an edit-button, so I'll post it as a comment :

Typing 'dirt2' or even 'dir2' could give you 'Dirt 2';
    'bluhq' or 'blurhq' -> 'Blur HQ', 'blurhqg' gives you 'Blur HQ Grayscale';
    'gray c' gives you 'Grayscale conversion'.

The difference to the search right now is that it's less strict. With the current search you can't leave out whitespaces, and you have to type "dirt 2" to get the Dirt 2.
    Here's a good example for such a "fuzzy" search I found: https://www.willmcgugan.com/files/fuzzymatch.html. With this, it's more forgiving; typos are okay, as long as they're not deviating too much, for example.

The search could also remember which nodes are used more often, given a specific search-query.
    For example, when searching for "blur hq", you get both the color- and grayscale-version. However, when one uses the grayscale-version more often than the color-one, it would be cool if the "Blur HQ Grayscale"-search-result would be on the top, so that you can immediately press enter to select it.

Feedback and Knowledge Base