Substance Designer

Some guidelines before posting:
- This place is dedicated to feature requests and/new ideas suggestions. It is not made for bug reports (you can use the forum or the bug reporters for this).
- Before to create a new ticket, make sure your idea hadn’t been suggested before (if so it’s better to upvote it)
- 1 post = 1 idea

Thanks

How can we improve Substance Designer?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Global Variables or Settable Parameters

Special "settable parameters" or global variables. Allow setting of parameter from a function or setting a global variable that other functions could access. I imagine if multiple functions set a parameter's value it would be a last-in wins.

5 votes
    Sign in Sign in with All Right Reserved
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

completed  ·  4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. search

Improve the search -

e.g. make typing 'dirt2' or even 'dir2' gives you 'Dirt 2';
    'bluhq' or 'blurhq' gives you 'Blur HQ', 'blurhqg' gives you 'Blur HQ Grayscale';
    'gray c' gives you 'Grayscale conversion'.

I've seen this implemented in some programs, I think the term is fuzzy search, and it's really quite handy when you get used to it, which doens't take very long. It's way faster for me to just type 'blurhqg', especially since you tend to memorize these for nodes you use very often.

Also, this is kind of included in the fuzzy search idea, typing 'dirt' and…

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Save as 2D texture (ie. same as 3D preview)

2D texture market (like second-life, and sellers to graphic & mobile game artists, etc) calling for Substance Designer to include a feature to export the material, as seen in the 3D window as a 2D texture (just the material, not any environment background). For example, render of the material as a square plane (top view) including all the features/visual properties of the material, and option to make it seamless. Include the environment lighting effects on the material, simulation of the height map, etc. - able to be saved as JPG, PNG, ... at decent high-res sizes.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Function node

A node contains a set of function and it may share to multiple parameter without exposing it

6 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Support other ways to scroll the graph view

Requiring a middle mouse button to scroll makes the graph view useless with a trackpad or Apple mouse -- so I can't use SD on my laptop without carrying extra equipment.

Also, even when it's available, using the MMB means is very hard to scroll about without zooming.

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Lock Width and Height aspect ratio in Output size

A simple check box to lock the ratio, as it get annoying having to change width and height individually.

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Shadows on the main light

It would be great to have real time shadows in the 3D view to have a better presentation of our model, without having to export it to an external application.

6 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Open 2(multiple) different node graphs at once (One for WIP, one for reference)

Would love to be able to open 2 different substances at once and have one reference graph on a separate window (so I can cascade windows or to another monitor) and Another main window where I work on my subsance

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Mid control for height maps in Substance Designer and Painter

It would be awesome to be able to control the mid color of the height/ displacement map. Because it`s a pain to use the height maps in Maya that Substance Painter/ Designer currently creates.
    Just do it like in ZBrush!!!

In Zbrush you have a controller to set the mid color of the generated displacement map between 0 to 5. 0.5 is the standard value, if you leave it at that value it looks just like the map created by Substance Painter or designer. If you set it to 0 the grey background changes to black and you can use…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. "cable management"

You guys should create a cable "management system" so you can set a pin or route pins to keep lines from crisscrossing everywhere. You could color code them or name them. Whether it's an output that's used a million times or you just need to set an intricate route it would keep everything more organized. I haven't seen it in the program or anyone mention it so I thought I would. It would make things look much better I think and I'm pretty sure plenty of other people have thought the graph shouldn't look like the back of an entertainment…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. light position in the" 3d View" output

It would be great if we are able to change the position of lights in the 3d view of substance designer. They should not be fixed at one position. Some position change with the help of parameters would be great.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Add Trigger Save, Trigger Load, and ability to Add custom Scripting Actions with menu items/buttons

Adding a trigger to save and a trigger to load will allow integration of pipeline tracking tools like Shotgun or launching of custom plugins/scripts that utilize Pysbs.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. increase/ decrease small values

A up and down arrow button next to the value bar to change small values like 0.01 per step with one normal click and a bigger amount of 0.1 with shift pressed.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Changing the rotation of a UV non-destructively

Currently when you create a new layer that has any kind of a directional material (e.g. wood grain), the only way to have the direction running in a logical direction for the whole model is to either have the UVs rotated the same way from the start, or to create a duplicate layer for the parts that you want to rotate. Would it be possible to select different UV islands inside the Substance Painter project and assign a different rotation to them non-destructively, so that one wouldn't have to create extra layers and masks? Thanks.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Substance Painter  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Easily select multiple gradient pointers

To improve the flexibility of the gradient editor it would be helpful to select multiple points in and able move them around together. Additional an option to delete points with the delete key would be nice.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Displacement Preview

It'd be tremendously helpful to see (in 3D preview) to actually see the effects of the height-map.

Here's an example: https://threejs.org/examples/?q=dis#webgl_materials_displacementmap

Drag the displacement slider to see what I mean. At zero it's just the normal map without altered shape. This is what we have in Designer and Painter right now. When you move the Displacement slider, the shape is modified like in Modo, Unreal or Unity for example.

It'd be great to see it right within Substance before exporting and applying the texture in another engine.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Return exposed parameter to default

Command to return exposed parameter(s) to default. Parameters exposed from Designer (in sbsar files) should have a way to return to their default parameters through either a button in the UI or with a supplemental key. Ex: holding alt or option and clicking on the parameter could return it to the default value (the value that was assigned in Designer).

This should be able to be executed per parameter.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. crop node

The one that actually crop a part the image to a new scale in pixels. Same way Photoshop does.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Absolute Transformation 2D node

The idea is to add absolute transforms to the "Transformation 2D" node.

Right now if I apply angle or scale with a "Transformation 2D" node, it becomes baked into matrix and when I get back to this node, I can't see the angle and scale, applied in this node and all further transforms are relative to the previous transforms.

It would be great if we could choose between relative and absolute transforms.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Bullet Nodes

Seen as in Nuke. Just a Bullet node that does nothing other then routing the connection. Just for organizing purposes.

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4
  • Don't see your idea?

Substance Designer

Feedback and Knowledge Base