Substance Designer

Some guidelines before posting:
- This place is dedicated to feature requests and/new ideas suggestions. It is not made for bug reports (you can use the forum or the bug reporters for this).
- Before to create a new ticket, make sure your idea hadn’t been suggested before (if so it’s better to upvote it)
- 1 post = 1 idea

Thanks

How can we improve Substance Designer?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. prorender

Use AMD Pro Render instead of iray for pathtracing. Pro Render supports both Nvidia and AMD cards as well as great support for Mac using Metal2 backend.

16 votes
    Sign in Sign in with All Right Reserved
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Drag and create new node like in Unreal Engine 4

I just worked a lot with UE4 blueprints and recently back to SD and noticed that to add nodes is not really handy. So maybe you could add a similar system like in ue4. For instance when you click and drag the circle to add a new node po previous and then just type the name of the node you need and it will automatically connect it to the previous node. It's simple but very handy. You no need to connect nodes by hand

6 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Automatically choose color or grayscale node based on selected node

A feature to quickly speedup workflow would be for Designer to choose whether to create a color or grayscale version of a node based on the currently selected node.

i.e. I have a Perlin node selected (grayscale node) and I want to crop it. I hit tab and start to type 'crop'. Ideally hitting enter would produce a grayscale version of the crop node automatically since Designer should recognize I'm trying to manipulate a grayscale node. Crop (color version) wouldn't make sense in this case.

I'm guessing there would be cases where this feature wouldn't make sense due to ambiguity…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Simple math in numerical parameter fields

Designer could greatly benefit from allowing numerical parameter fields to be subject to simple math manipulation.

i.e. If someone wanted to change Perlin Noise 'Scale' from default 32 to some multiple, they could just type 32 * 4 and hit Enter instead of having to mentally calculate the answer and type 128.

Other applications have this feature such as Cinema 4D and Houdini. It allows the user to maintain their speed while working without being slowed down by simple math.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Ability to retrieve graph input parameters from package functions

Graph input parameters currently cannot be retrieved from within package functions (leads to "variable not found" error) even though at runtime, the variable would be resolved if the function was called within the proper graph. Also, there is no way to make global functions part of a graph (which would probably solve the problem), functions can only be at the package root or associated to an input parameter. This makes things inconvenient as some init code using graph input parameters cannot be made into function, hence need to be repeated in every location needing them (i.e. when duplicating an fx-map…

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Better Ghost Nodes

Ghost nodes are my worst enemy. They do a decent job of showing us where the original node was and how it was connected, but not much else. I'm not sure if this is possible, because it depends on what data is stored inside of each module/file. But here goes anyway..

It would be extremely useful if it were possible to see what variables were exposed for a Ghost node - to see how it was wired in. The easiest way to pull this off (again, if it is possible) would be to leave it alone - just leave the…

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Expose Filtering Parameter in Normal Transform

This is a special case, but, the built in Normal Transform node's Transformation 2D node doesn't have it's Filtering parameter exposed. Would be nice to have that as a default, rather than needing to work around it.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Substance Plugin support for Unity WebGL

Supporting Substance Designer plugin for WebGL builds from Unity will improve interoperability of multi-platform apps while simultaneously improving performance. This support would go a long way for extending Substance Designer to other markets and industries currently untapped.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. 3D View: Rotation around / zoom on mouse cursor

Similar to Cinema 4D, or with a slightly option change in Maya, rotating/tumbling around objects can be done around a point of interest, in this case the mouse cursor location.

It is frustrating to try to rotate around / zoom from a point on an object in 3D space when the rotation origin is some arbitrary point in the scene. I'm guessing its 0,0,0 for Designer's 3D View all the time. Having that point of rotation / zoom be exactly where the mouse cursor is when the user 'alt+left/right clicks' clicks allows the user to more reliably navigate their object,…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Expose pattern transform matrix in the FX Quadrant node.

You have size, rotation and offset(position) available, but could you also just have the transform matrix itself exposed as a parameter so someone could add image skewing or some matrix math while iterating?

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Change multiple Frame Color parameters simultaneously

It's easier than having to click each frame and change their colors individually all to the same color.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. A node that places copies (of a plugged in element) where I click on a 2d view.

I'm really tired to place small repetitive elements in my sci-fi designs by using 2d transform + blend node many times. It would be so great to have a node in which I can just plug in my element and then just click several times in 2d view to get copies of the element in proper places.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Maintain node graph view when switching node graphs

When switching between between node graphs in the Explorer panel, Designer will forget your last 'view' position in a graph. Returning back to a graph shows that the view has been reset to default, showing all of the nodes in the graph in a zoomed out view. Saving and showing the last view position would allow the user to quickly get back to work on the nodes they were looking at last. This is especially useful when frequently jumping between node graphs in Explorer.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Allow 3D, 2D view, & graph editor to zoom horizontal

Similar to other 3D packages like Maya and C4D, navigating the viewport with zoom can be done by holding Alt and right click dragging horizontally or vertically. Dragging up and right = zoom in. Down and left = zoom out. Designer only has up and down.

Adding horizontal zooming makes moving between software less jarring, especially for new Designer users.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Instant typing focus

Something that would really speed up workflow is immediate typing focus when selecting (clicking) nodes that have a single type-in control (especially function nodes, like constant values).

In addition to selecting, it should also happen immediately after creating these nodes. But I think newly created nodes are selected immediately anyway.

The only issue I can see this causing is interference with hot-keys while such a node is selected. But as long as hotkeys are typical (eg, ctrl + key), it shouldn't be a problem. No different than trying to use a hotkey immediately after typing something into a typical control.…

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Expose Parameter as Input Values

Currently we have some exposing options. Use Export parameter window, or manually expose each items .

Since we have value processor, I like to have 'Expose as input values' menu as well as previous expose option.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Simultaneous Grayscale and Color Support (automatic switch)

We should have the ability to create a single node that can support both grayscale and color, rather than needing to add "gray" vs "color" suffix or prefix onto each node that can support both.

This would be a simple internal detection process, and doesn't really require any advanced changes. We would still need to write both versions of our nodes, but with the difference that Designer would automatically employ whichever one is currently plugged in.

One method that would allow us to use a single graph would be a checkbox on input and output nodes that specify they are…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Allow smaller cloud node scales

I've encountered a number of graphs that use a Transform node after a Clouds (1/2/3) node to "zoom in" the clouds to achieve specific effects. Unfortunately, this creates the side effect of breaking tiling and requires other nodes to try to fix that.

Instead, it would be very helpful if the cloud nodes could have additional lower scales - the default Scale of 1 (and the minimum) is still fairly "medium density" in terms of detail. I'd like to see the same cloud effects, except 2x and 4x "zoomed in". In other words, the equivalent of a Scale 0.5 and…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Output nodes "usage" section should be more consistent with the 3D preview

I export my textures packed with each channel representing one material properties. It is possible to describe these "usages" in the Output node but the 3d viewer doesn't respect them and only seem to accept a usage that is set to RGBA components.
    I'd like the viewer to be able to gather its inputs from my Output nodes usage, even for textures that affect several material properties.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Link Node

I think there would be a huge benefit in having a node that links to other software, specifically ZBrush and Painter.

For ZBrush, the node would connect to a ZBrush session and allow for users to generate height information from the session. It can also send Designer's height data to allow for sculpting within ZBrush. This would be great for easily going back and forth between the program, while organizing the sessions for their various purposes like establishing the base forms, modifying shapes, or final touchups at the very end. I see many studios (Sony Santa Monica and Blizzard, as…

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7
  • Don't see your idea?

Substance Designer

Feedback and Knowledge Base