Substance Designer

Some guidelines before posting:
- This place is dedicated to feature requests and/new ideas suggestions. It is not made for bug reports (you can use the forum or the bug reporters for this).
- Before to create a new ticket, make sure your idea hadn’t been suggested before (if so it’s better to upvote it)
- 1 post = 1 idea

Thanks

How can we improve Substance Designer?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Transfer Textures Form UDIM meshes

If you have for example VFX mesh with 10 UDIMs it's quite tricky to transfer textures to real time mesh that has only one UDIM. It would be amazing it texture transfer baker would support texture loading per uv tile or material. By doing so it would be possible to make low poly, low cost mesh from high end one.
    And don't get me wrong I am thinking of plane simple baking here. Like you transfer height details to normal map you could transfer same just from the texture of "high poly" (UDIM mesh) to a non udim one.

2 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Better light and rendering tools

The lights in Substance Designer are very poor. You can only activate two, and you can only move one light (never the other, which is stuck in place even if you activate it). The one light you can move is very awkward and difficult to move already.
    I would like to have rendering tools built into Substance Designer that are absolutely worthy of being in the best material authoring software. movable, rotatable spotlights and point lights, among other things, would be very convenient and professional.

3 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. 'continue' for FX map

While I'm working with FX map, I usually put 0 on color.
    to use this method, everything should be calculated in color section. Of course we do this a lot of time.
    But, if there is a system node, or function that allow us to use 'continue' token as well as usual programming, the work will be much easier.

1 vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Search / Find Text in Comments and Frame Contents

It's great that Allegorithmic added the ability to search by text within nodes, but what also be helpful is to search text that's in comments and frames (and their descriptions).

1 vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Quad Transform node where you add as much points as you want.

The idea is to have more advanced and more than 4 point-based transformation.

Name Suggestion: "QuadX2" because the number of the points are multiplies of 2 (4,8,16...) those points are equally distributed on the edge coordinates of a 1x1 square.
    I did a little mockup down below, check it out and please let me know if this would be useful to you ?

1 vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Read/write open exr deep rasters

Please add ability to read deep rasters from EXR files. By now SD can only read color plane, ignoring everything else.

Also ability to export all outputs into deep rasters (and tool similar to psd export) would be helpful.

1 vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Export at higher resolution

I like working at 2048 for speed and efficiency on my fairly powerful computer. It would be nice to have an export at 4096 option, instead of having to manually upres the entire graph before exporting.

1 vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Copy Graph

The ability to right click or select a graph in a package in the Explorer window, and copy it while conforming to a numbered naming convention. Similar to ctl+d in maya. (ie: a copy of 'WallShape_01' would be 'WallShape_02')

1 vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Bake Range for UDIM

It would be cool to have the ability to set an exact range of UDIMs to bake maps for. At the moment it is either bake All maps, or bake one specific UDIM. I was thinking about a custom range field where you could enter comma and dash separated ranges of UDIMs to bake. When I have assets with about 100 or more UDIMs and I want to rebake only a portion of it, the current limitations are annoying.

3 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Move the Normal Map Baker to the top of the list

In a few of the other Baker types (Ambient Occlusion, ect) there's an option for designating a Previous Baker for the normal map detail slot. This functions based on the order/stack of your Bakers, so if you were to pick your bakers alphabetically like the list is set presently, you'll never see your Normal Map baker listed. Once you know how the system works, this isn't a big issue. However from a first-time-user-perspective, its a feature that may go unused with the way its currently presented.

2 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Hotkey editor

Hotkey editors are always super important in any application.

I would love to change the hotkey for the spacebar menu to use Tab instead. This would keep it consistent with Nuke, Houdini. Users of those software could feel more "at home" so to speak. even if this was just a preference item, that would be cool.

But a full out hotkey editor would allow us to map hotkeys to the nodes we like to use most often to speed up workflow. Even more so if we want to map hotkeys to items within the 3d view that we might like…

60 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

backlog (low priority)  ·  17 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Debug Node

A Function Node which allows us to print a Debug message in the Console, consisting at least of a custom Message/Description, the Type of the Input and the Value(s).

30 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. reroute node

An empty node that does nothing but allow you to clean up your graph. Would have the same functionality as the reroute node in Unreal's blueprint system.

37 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

backlog  ·  11 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Auto connect nodes when you drag them over wires

Maybe I use Houdini too much, but I find I waist tons of time connecting and reconnecting nodes in SD. Please add a bunch of behaviors for connecting nodes.

1. Drag a node between across a connection wire - have it highlight telling you if you let go it will insert that node between the two and wire it up.
    2. Allow you to grab a connection wires toward the connection point, unhook it and plug it in elsewhere.
    3. Shake a node to disconnect its connections

58 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. prorender

Use AMD Pro Render instead of iray for pathtracing. Pro Render supports both Nvidia and AMD cards as well as great support for Mac using Metal2 backend.

3 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Export Displaced Mesh

It'd be great to have an option to export the displaced mesh exactly the way it looks in the 3D viewport (or with translation for iRay view as those always differ).

Use Cases: A quicker path to a 3D print.
    Especially when you're designing real world materials it would be great to have a tangible example when getting a render signed off on. Or just to quickly create prop pieces or stamping tools for specialty costumers.

Substance Designer Path:
    1. Mesh goes into Substance Designer
    2. Deformation is dialled in
    3. Export to OBJ

Traditional Path:
    1. Export Height Map …

5 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Clone a node

Add the ability to clone a node, like you can do in e.g. Nuke. From Nuke's documentation:

"You can clone nodes in preparation for pasting them elsewhere in a script. Cloned nodes inherit the values of their parent, but unlike copied nodes, they also maintain an active link with their parents’ values. If you alter the values of one, the other automatically inherits these changes.

Clones are helpful for maintaining consistent setups across multiple elements. For example, you might use clones to apply an identical film grain setup to a series of elements shot on the same stock. Should you…

2 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Delete Node Only

If I drag in my substance graph, I will get the links and nodes. Then I press Delete key with the selection, every node and link are removed.

Sometimes that make things uncomfortable. What I only want to delete is the nodes, not the links.

2 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Frame holding comments as well as pins

I'm using comments a lot, and I use Frame as much as those.
    But, when I move the frame, the comments stay at their position.

I have to select every nodes and comments in frame to move them in a time.
    I think that this is a weird thing. There is no advantage to use frame if I want to use comments.

2 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. MDL Export: exporting other than material

Currently, when exporting MDLs, the export is obviously a `material` data export as it is the most common use of it. The material must be set as 'root' for the export to go through successfully.

But as you know, MDLs are also capable of being used in other contexts such as environment lighting, and also in other contexts that accept their output type.

For example, let's say I'm creating an MDL graph that takes the sun_and_sky, wrap a few parameters and plug it into the sun_direction. However, to use this in the environment light context, the output must be of…

1 vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5
  • Don't see your idea?

Substance Designer

Feedback and Knowledge Base