Substance Designer

How can we improve Substance Designer?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Add and Obvious Way to Switch Graphs

I'm a new user. I opened a second .sbs file, and it took over my UI. SD says both packages are open, but there is no way I can find to flip back to the graph I was working on. Clicking or double-clicking on the item in the Explorer pane doesn't work, and the graphs aren't stacked or listed under the Windows menu. Shouldn't users be able to flip back and forth between two graphs to compare them? I suspect so, but the means to do it is very well hidden. Please make this more easy and obvious.

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. search

Improve the search -

e.g. make typing 'dirt2' or even 'dir2' gives you 'Dirt 2';
    'bluhq' or 'blurhq' gives you 'Blur HQ', 'blurhqg' gives you 'Blur HQ Grayscale';
    'gray c' gives you 'Grayscale conversion'.

I've seen this implemented in some programs, I think the term is fuzzy search, and it's really quite handy when you get used to it, which doens't take very long. It's way faster for me to just type 'blurhqg', especially since you tend to memorize these for nodes you use very often.

Also, this is kind of included in the fuzzy search idea, typing 'dirt' and…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Bullet Nodes

Seen as in Nuke. Just a Bullet node that does nothing other then routing the connection. Just for organizing purposes.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Reference Image Window

When using substance designer, I find I often want to load in a reference image that I can have in its own docker. The reference image is just there for me to copy details on when using the procedural workflow. It would really speed up and consolidate my workflow to be able to 1:1 compare the reference image beside the 3D view while working on the graph.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Tile Generator: Add a Luminance Random Seed

When using duplicate Tile Generators, it would be useful (for creating color variants with gradient maps) to have a seed for the Luminance Random.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Global Variables or Settable Parameters

Special "settable parameters" or global variables. Allow setting of parameter from a function or setting a global variable that other functions could access. I imagine if multiple functions set a parameter's value it would be a last-in wins.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Save As Copy...

Different from "save as..." as "save as copy..." would allow you to keep working on your current file, while creating a new file with the current state of your work.

Would be great on those random but creative circumstances where you unexpectedly find something very cool for a node idea, but it doesn't fit your objective. You want to save it for later exploration but you have real work to fulfil so, as you don't want to ditch it away what you do is "save as..." into a new folder and then "save as..." again into the previous working file.…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Preview Image based nodes in the 2D window

I'd like to open a preview of a node in the 2D window by double clicking. Double clicking a thumbnail nowadays does nothing but it could perfectly fit this behaviour.

Right now we have to insert the node, double click on it and delete it so we currently don't have a way to iterate fast between the available assets in the library.

The idea is to fast preview:
    - Noises;
    - Bitmaps on the library;
    - SVG's
    - HDR images;
    - Etc.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Absolute Transformation 2D node

The idea is to add absolute transforms to the "Transformation 2D" node.

Right now if I apply angle or scale with a "Transformation 2D" node, it becomes baked into matrix and when I get back to this node, I can't see the angle and scale, applied in this node and all further transforms are relative to the previous transforms.

It would be great if we could choose between relative and absolute transforms.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. 6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. grabdoc 3d view depth buffer (like zbrush) for create alpha shape

grabdoc 3d view depth buffer (like zbrush) for create alpha shape

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. impact/collision map baking

If you bake the height map from a collision box on the low mesh, you can isolate the impact areas of an object. you can combine the curve map and this impact map for micro wear.

But we need a tool to generate a collision box (like unreal engine)

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. crop node

The one that actually crop a part the image to a new scale in pixels. Same way Photoshop does.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. output node export in right click menu

would be so much easier then check in and check of in "Export Outputs"
    when you want just a single output exported

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Fix nodes inputs popups in Designer

Some nodes with bunch of inputs needs to be a clairvoyant to gues what its for

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Append/Override specific settings in Project Files stack

Substance Designer currently has the ability to load in multiple project configurations and apply them via an ordered stack. By default, there are two config files called Default Project and User Project. You can also create project configuration files yourself and add them to this stack.

However, let's say you want to create two additional project configs. One for use studio-wide and another for a specific 3d engine/project. While you can add them to the project configuration stack, the last one in the stack will overwrite settings from all others that came before.

What I would like to see is…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Pixel Processor - Ability to sample and map pixels using two position inputs

I'm running into a limitation with the Pixel Processor node when it comes to mapping pixels from the input image based on position variables.

Effectively what I want to achieve is map pixels from one position value in the input image to another position value in the new image. Think of it as mapping pixels from two different UV coordinates.

It would be handy to have an optional second input for the Sampler nodes for the Pixel Processor to control how pixels are sampled and mapped from one location to another because at the moment, I can only get position…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. SVG Creation Nodes

It would be great to have the option to create complex SVG shapes and patterns with a node graph in the same way that substances are created.

Function nodes already work in a sub graph context with their own unique node set and perhaps SVG's could work in a similar way?

It would certainly yield some huge efficiency improvements if some operations done with pixel/raster based nodes could be done in vector instead i.e tiling, shape booleans etc.

There is an open source project called nodebox - https://www.nodebox.net/ that operates in this way which the developers at Allegorithmic might want…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Dependency Manager improvements

Substance Designer has a dependency manager for keeping track of referenced graphs and other files. However, it's fairly limited in terms of what you can actually do with it. There are many cases where a reference to a package or graph within the package was broken in some way and needed to be fixed but there are not many options to do so.

For example, let's say I took a graph from one package file with many graphs within it and placed it it's own package instead. What I'd like to do is point to the graph in the new…

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Save as 2D texture (ie. same as 3D preview)

2D texture market (like second-life, and sellers to graphic & mobile game artists, etc) calling for Substance Designer to include a feature to export the material, as seen in the 3D window as a 2D texture (just the material, not any environment background). For example, render of the material as a square plane (top view) including all the features/visual properties of the material, and option to make it seamless. Include the environment lighting effects on the material, simulation of the height map, etc. - able to be saved as JPG, PNG, ... at decent high-res sizes.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4 5 10 11
  • Don't see your idea?

Substance Designer

Feedback and Knowledge Base