Substance Designer

Some guidelines before posting:
- This place is dedicated to feature requests and/new ideas suggestions. It is not made for bug reports (you can use the forum or the bug reporters for this).
- Before to create a new ticket, make sure your idea hadn’t been suggested before (if so it’s better to upvote it)
- 1 post = 1 idea

Thanks

How can we improve Substance Designer?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. prorender

Use AMD Pro Render instead of iray for pathtracing. Pro Render supports both Nvidia and AMD cards as well as great support for Mac using Metal2 backend.

7 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Link Node

I think there would be a huge benefit in having a node that links to other software, specifically ZBrush and Painter.

For ZBrush, the node would connect to a ZBrush session and allow for users to generate height information from the session. It can also send Designer's height data to allow for sculpting within ZBrush. This would be great for easily going back and forth between the program, while organizing the sessions for their various purposes like establishing the base forms, modifying shapes, or final touchups at the very end. I see many studios (Sony Santa Monica and Blizzard, as…

3 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Better light and rendering tools

The lights in Substance Designer are very poor. You can only activate two, and you can only move one light (never the other, which is stuck in place even if you activate it). The one light you can move is very awkward and difficult to move already.
    I would like to have rendering tools built into Substance Designer that are absolutely worthy of being in the best material authoring software. movable, rotatable spotlights and point lights, among other things, would be very convenient and professional.

6 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. A corner tag to make it easy to resize frames. Rather than mousing over the corner and missing.

A corner tag to make it easy to resize frames. Rather than mousing over the corner and missing

2 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Export Displaced Mesh

It'd be great to have an option to export the displaced mesh exactly the way it looks in the 3D viewport (or with translation for iRay view as those always differ).

Use Cases: A quicker path to a 3D print.
    Especially when you're designing real world materials it would be great to have a tangible example when getting a render signed off on. Or just to quickly create prop pieces or stamping tools for specialty costumers.

Substance Designer Path:
    1. Mesh goes into Substance Designer
    2. Deformation is dialled in
    3. Export to OBJ

Traditional Path:
    1. Export Height Map …

6 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Drag and create new node like in Unreal Engine 4

I just worked a lot with UE4 blueprints and recently back to SD and noticed that to add nodes is not really handy. So maybe you could add a similar system like in ue4. For instance when you click and drag the circle to add a new node po previous and then just type the name of the node you need and it will automatically connect it to the previous node. It's simple but very handy. You no need to connect nodes by hand

1 vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Compilable FX map

On FxMap-Quadrant node, there is a option named Pattern Varient. However, we don't use this most of the time, because it only works with very specific pattern in Quardrant-Pattern parameter.

So, here is my suggestion.

1. At very beginning of FX graph building, we should choose a node on its properties view.
    2. The node must not have any input nodes, and have only one output node.
    3. If complie is available, complie the Fx map node on Substance Designer.
    4. After the complie, we can use every parameter of the node that we chose at step 1 in Quadrant…

1 vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Emphasized Frame View

It can be difficult to read frame notes when opening a new graph with all of the node connection lines going everywhere. In addition small frames are quite easy to miss through the node spaghetti. Possibly, with the press and hold of a hotkey, everything but the frames could be 'dimmed' so the frames might be easier to spot and read.

1 vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Instanced Noise Nodes

Implement something similar to a docked node (possibly greyed out, or with another appropriate symbol) that is an 'instanced' copy of a noise from somewhere else in the graph. Would help to reduce node spaghetti from reusing noises for optimization which get all over the place. If you change a parameter in one of the instanced noise, like scale, disorder, whatever, then it would update all of the instanced noises that are tied together in this way. Hope that makes sense!

1 vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Quick export

So when texturing with designer I often make small changes and want to see them ingame, I dont want to turn auto export on and I dont want to open the export window and press the button everytime because I have to close it as it wont let me edit my graph with it open. can we have a hotkey to just export the current open graph textures

2 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Clone a node

Add the ability to clone a node, like you can do in e.g. Nuke. From Nuke's documentation:

"You can clone nodes in preparation for pasting them elsewhere in a script. Cloned nodes inherit the values of their parent, but unlike copied nodes, they also maintain an active link with their parents’ values. If you alter the values of one, the other automatically inherits these changes.

Clones are helpful for maintaining consistent setups across multiple elements. For example, you might use clones to apply an identical film grain setup to a series of elements shot on the same stock. Should you…

3 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Mac Magic Mouse

On the Mac, when using the apple mouse to manipulate the Graph view, it is easy to accidentally zoom the Graph view, which is very distressing! ! !
    Is it possible to disable this operation or reduce the sensitivity~

1 vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Search / Find Text in Comments and Frame Contents

It's great that Allegorithmic added the ability to search by text within nodes, but what also be helpful is to search text that's in comments and frames (and their descriptions).

2 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Bitmap painting on both 2D and 3D view in Substance Designer

Substance Designer: The idea is about being able to paint both ways when using a bitmap node using the same brush selected in the bitmap node. This way detail placement would not be tied to procedural placement (triplanar projection) across UV shells anymore, allowing a better detailing workflow. Painter and a layer based workflow is not my thing, I'm a node-type of person and this feature would speed up the workflow a lot.

1 vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Export at higher resolution

I like working at 2048 for speed and efficiency on my fairly powerful computer. It would be nice to have an export at 4096 option, instead of having to manually upres the entire graph before exporting.

2 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Ruler

Introduce a ruler with unit selections for metrics, inches, pixels etc. similar to photoshop.

10 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Transfer Textures Form UDIM meshes

If you have for example VFX mesh with 10 UDIMs it's quite tricky to transfer textures to real time mesh that has only one UDIM. It would be amazing it texture transfer baker would support texture loading per uv tile or material. By doing so it would be possible to make low poly, low cost mesh from high end one.
    And don't get me wrong I am thinking of plane simple baking here. Like you transfer height details to normal map you could transfer same just from the texture of "high poly" (UDIM mesh) to a non udim one.

2 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Place Panorama Shapes by clicking on a surface in the 3D view.

It would be nice to be able to place the center of a Panorama Shape by clicking on a surface in the 3D view via bouncing raycast.

6 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

backlog (low priority)  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. draped sphere scene for fabric dev

Would it be possible to add another scene in Designer similar to the draped sphere that you have in Substance Source for fabric? It would be very helpful when developing materials for soft surfaces like fabric. Thank you!!!

4 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Tile Generator node

When you input a custom pattern into a Tile Generator it should automatically use that pattern instead of you having to change it in the settings after cr4eating a pattern

1 vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6
  • Don't see your idea?

Substance Designer

Feedback and Knowledge Base