Substance Designer

Some guidelines before posting:
- This place is dedicated to feature requests and/new ideas suggestions. It is not made for bug reports (you can use the forum or the bug reporters for this).
- Before to create a new ticket, make sure your idea hadn’t been suggested before (if so it’s better to upvote it)
- 1 post = 1 idea

Thanks

1. Simple math in numerical parameter fields

Designer could greatly benefit from allowing numerical parameter fields to be subject to simple math manipulation.

i.e. If someone wanted to change Perlin Noise 'Scale' from default 32 to some multiple, they could just type 32 * 4 and hit Enter instead of having to mentally calculate the answer and type 128.

Other applications have this feature such as Cinema 4D and Houdini. It allows the user to maintain their speed while working without being slowed down by simple math.

5 votes
    Sign in Sign in with All Right Reserved
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. prorender

Use AMD Pro Render instead of iray for pathtracing. Pro Render supports both Nvidia and AMD cards as well as great support for Mac using Metal2 backend.

16 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Drag and create new node like in Unreal Engine 4

I just worked a lot with UE4 blueprints and recently back to SD and noticed that to add nodes is not really handy. So maybe you could add a similar system like in ue4. For instance when you click and drag the circle to add a new node po previous and then just type the name of the node you need and it will automatically connect it to the previous node. It's simple but very handy. You no need to connect nodes by hand

6 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Add aSDProperty.visibleIf() to Designer API

I would like to check the return value of the visible if expression on a given property.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Bookmark frame

Would be cool that whenever you create a pin it automatically create a bookmark that you can snap to back to remind yourself. Like if you left a note to come back to this you can snap back a lot faster. Maybe using Ctrl + 1 would create bookmark 1 and you can enter this by pressing num pad 1. I know 1/2/3 is linked to link creation mode but would be handy to remind yourself and not get lost in your own work.
    This applied to mainly Substance Designer.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Multi Colored Node links based of frame colour

If you create a frame around a few nodes and give it a color, whatever node come out of that frame, the grayscale links will inherit that color. So if you make your frame red, the links are also red. This would really help possibly make the spaghetti a lot easier to read. This would be a huge boost to readability with the new magnet feature you added recently.
    This applied to mainly Substance Designer.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Pen Tool for making curves

A simple pen tool for making curved lines that can have thickness adjustment. this would be instead of using a ton of warp nodes

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. HUD/UI adition

So because you can Ctrl+Alt+Right click a object in the 3D view to select a texture set, makes things alot more streamlined, and less cluttered

Only issue now is that you wont know at a glance which texture set you are on until you open the Texture Set List which in turn adds more clutter

So as a proposal, have maybe on the bottom right corner of the interface a indication of what texture set you are on. Could add customization options on how opaque you want the text to be and how large Or on the program title bar…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Substance Painter  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Better Ghost Nodes

Ghost nodes are my worst enemy. They do a decent job of showing us where the original node was and how it was connected, but not much else. I'm not sure if this is possible, because it depends on what data is stored inside of each module/file. But here goes anyway..

It would be extremely useful if it were possible to see what variables were exposed for a Ghost node - to see how it was wired in. The easiest way to pull this off (again, if it is possible) would be to leave it alone - just leave the…

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. 3D View in SD: Backface Cull Toggle

Backface Cull Switch in Substance Designer. Without having to go in and manually modify the glsfx/glsl files, can you please add a switch in designer to enable/disable backface culling? This is especially needed for alpha planes.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Add a Derive-Z node

Like many game engine tools, it would be good if I could feed X and Y normal maps into designer and plug them into a node to create an XYZ normal map to use in Designer.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. the parameter is not good ,I hope just like maya Parameter classification ,please dont take all the parameters in the same frame

the parameter is not good ,I hope just like maya Parameter classification ,please dont take all the parameters in the same frame

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Automatically choose color or grayscale node based on selected node

A feature to quickly speedup workflow would be for Designer to choose whether to create a color or grayscale version of a node based on the currently selected node.

i.e. I have a Perlin node selected (grayscale node) and I want to crop it. I hit tab and start to type 'crop'. Ideally hitting enter would produce a grayscale version of the crop node automatically since Designer should recognize I'm trying to manipulate a grayscale node. Crop (color version) wouldn't make sense in this case.

I'm guessing there would be cases where this feature wouldn't make sense due to ambiguity…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Ability to retrieve graph input parameters from package functions

Graph input parameters currently cannot be retrieved from within package functions (leads to "variable not found" error) even though at runtime, the variable would be resolved if the function was called within the proper graph. Also, there is no way to make global functions part of a graph (which would probably solve the problem), functions can only be at the package root or associated to an input parameter. This makes things inconvenient as some init code using graph input parameters cannot be made into function, hence need to be repeated in every location needing them (i.e. when duplicating an fx-map…

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Shadows in 3D viewport

It would be great to have Open GL shadow rendering in viewport, same as substance painter/alchemist have. It gives us better representation of material than without it. It is cumbersome to switch between Open GL and Iray just to get better idea of shapes you are working on.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. custom shortcuts Substance designer

i would like to have the option for custom shortcuts for the Nodes in Designer it would be faster to work with. Most of the time you are using the same nodes over and over again. For example setting the B Key for the Blendnode and so on would speed up everything.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Add more pattern inputs to Shape Splatter

Shape Splatter is limited to 8 inputs. Could this be improved please? I would ideally like to see a 16 inputs or more.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Please make tile U and tile V separatly in Substance Designer MAterial settings, like in Artomatix

it would help to see non-square tillable textures on a default cube

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Launcher fails to launch both Designer and Painter after update

I cannot use designer nor painter as of update and downgrading still fails to run from the launcher

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Substance Painter  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. 1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base