Substance Designer

How can we improve Substance Designer?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. export different texture size per texture

in some cases its not desired to have all textures at the full resolution, so it would be nice to be able to specify each texture size in the export template rather than having all exported at the full resolution and then needing to reduce the size in an external software.

2 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Substance Painter  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add Trigger Save, Trigger Load, and ability to Add custom Scripting Actions with menu items/buttons

Adding a trigger to save and a trigger to load will allow integration of pipeline tracking tools like Shotgun or launching of custom plugins/scripts that utilize Pysbs.

1 vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Ruler

Introduce a ruler with unit selections for metrics, inches, pixels etc. similar to photoshop.

4 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Place Panorama Shapes by clicking on a surface in the 3D view.

It would be nice to be able to place the center of a Panorama Shape by clicking on a surface in the 3D view via bouncing raycast.

2 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Quickly filter parameters to find them faster

Quickly filter parameters to find them faster.
    This is something I got used to in UE4 and I wish we could do that in SD too.

3 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Layers Panel

Please correct the way that sub-group layers are shown versus single layers and collapsed groups, it's very hard to differentiate as there is no dent to the sub-group layers
    Thanks

2 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Make 'file type' per texture instead of global export option

I often want to export a bunch of maps as one format (.JPG) but still have some as another format (.PNG). It would save me so much time if I could set the file type per map instead of as a global setting.
    So, for example, I might export:

BaseColor: JPG 50% Compression
    Normal: PNG
    Roughness: JPG 75% Compression
    etc...

1 vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Substance Painter  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Editable tweaks should be in one sortable list

Because of the fact that Input Parameters are in a separate list from Input Images, you cannot edit the sort order when they exist in the same group. As a result, if you want a particular Input Images tweak to be sorted in a particular place with the other Input Parameters, you have to edit the XML file by hand. Otherwise, your Input Parameter gets sorted in some unexplained way-- perhaps by the creation order? Who knows...

1 vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. UI rescaling is an absolute pain, undocked panels 1 pixel border selection

I'm using a multi-monitor set up and I am constantly hassled by trying to resize my windows. Sometimes I want to re-orient them in a particular way because I'm looking at reference. Sometimes I want them larger or smaller. Being able to drag and resize a window is extremely important.

The problem I am facing (and I always have been having) is that the floating windows in the UI are nearly impossible to resize. It seems like its literally -1- pixel border selection. This is very hard to work with. A good working example is in your internet browser window,…

1 vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Move the Normal Map Baker to the top of the list

In a few of the other Baker types (Ambient Occlusion, ect) there's an option for designating a Previous Baker for the normal map detail slot. This functions based on the order/stack of your Bakers, so if you were to pick your bakers alphabetically like the list is set presently, you'll never see your Normal Map baker listed. Once you know how the system works, this isn't a big issue. However from a first-time-user-perspective, its a feature that may go unused with the way its currently presented.

1 vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Bake Range for UDIM

It would be cool to have the ability to set an exact range of UDIMs to bake maps for. At the moment it is either bake All maps, or bake one specific UDIM. I was thinking about a custom range field where you could enter comma and dash separated ranges of UDIMs to bake. When I have assets with about 100 or more UDIMs and I want to rebake only a portion of it, the current limitations are annoying.

1 vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Particle System and Particle Creation

Substance Painter has a particle system that would be great to have access to in Substance Designer. I'd also love to see the ability to create .pkfx files directly within Substance Designer.

1 vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Supports the new DX10 / BCn (DX10/11) formats, Import and Export

I could open DX10 dds with Intel® Texture Works Plugin in Photoshop but had trouble with substance designer, and had to convert new DDS format to .png or .tiff

it would be great to direct import new dx10 format to Substance Designer

1 vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. increase/ decrease small values

A up and down arrow button next to the value bar to change small values like 0.01 per step with one normal click and a bigger amount of 0.1 with shift pressed.

2 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Please add a hotkey for Wireframe

It would be nice if there was a hotkey for turning wireframe on and off, thanks!

1 vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Substance Painter  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Add a colour/grayscale input connector to Atlas Maker

As an alternative to crunching in the numbers in order to figure out measurements and where pixels go why not have a colour/grayscale input connector that reads off from a colour or gray-scale node and converts them into a mask?

Also include a dilation/padding slider within the Instance Parameters.

1 vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Animate parameters in Marmoset

Hi! I made custom material for Marmoset Toolbag and it looks good, but my exposed parameters don't appear in the timeline, so sad.
    I saw custom handwritten shaders with animatable parameters, so substance needs this ability!

1 vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. SVG node: fill gradients

Substance Designer

SVG could be used for more than just flat shape masks.

Several Substance Designer tutorials appear to be a long series of steps in which people painstakingly create shapes in SD with gradients that could be achieved in seconds in a vector program and imported as an SVG, if the SVG node handled gradients.

2 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. 3dsmax 2019 OSL Support Substances like Unreal

Now 3dsmax 2019 has OSL support. OSL can possibly be used to support more advanced features of substances than currently are with the 3dsmax intergration? For example curvature maps that are build in an OSL shader could detect edges or have build in dirt AO maps.

1 vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Easily select multiple gradient pointers

To improve the flexibility of the gradient editor it would be helpful to select multiple points in and able move them around together. Additional an option to delete points with the delete key would be nice.

1 vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8
  • Don't see your idea?

Substance Designer

Feedback and Knowledge Base