Substance Designer

Some guidelines before posting:
- This place is dedicated to feature requests and/new ideas suggestions. It is not made for bug reports (you can use the forum or the bug reporters for this).
- Before to create a new ticket, make sure your idea hadn’t been suggested before (if so it’s better to upvote it)
- 1 post = 1 idea

Thanks

How can we improve Substance Designer?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. prorender

Use AMD Pro Render instead of iray for pathtracing. Pro Render supports both Nvidia and AMD cards as well as great support for Mac using Metal2 backend.

15 votes
    Sign in Sign in with All Right Reserved
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Ability to retrieve graph input parameters from package functions

Graph input parameters currently cannot be retrieved from within package functions (leads to "variable not found" error) even though at runtime, the variable would be resolved if the function was called within the proper graph. Also, there is no way to make global functions part of a graph (which would probably solve the problem), functions can only be at the package root or associated to an input parameter. This makes things inconvenient as some init code using graph input parameters cannot be made into function, hence need to be repeated in every location needing them (i.e. when duplicating an fx-map…

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Drag and create new node like in Unreal Engine 4

I just worked a lot with UE4 blueprints and recently back to SD and noticed that to add nodes is not really handy. So maybe you could add a similar system like in ue4. For instance when you click and drag the circle to add a new node po previous and then just type the name of the node you need and it will automatically connect it to the previous node. It's simple but very handy. You no need to connect nodes by hand

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. A node that places copies (of a plugged in element) where I click on a 2d view.

I'm really tired to place small repetitive elements in my sci-fi designs by using 2d transform + blend node many times. It would be so great to have a node in which I can just plug in my element and then just click several times in 2d view to get copies of the element in proper places.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Better Ghost Nodes

Ghost nodes are my worst enemy. They do a decent job of showing us where the original node was and how it was connected, but not much else. I'm not sure if this is possible, because it depends on what data is stored inside of each module/file. But here goes anyway..

It would be extremely useful if it were possible to see what variables were exposed for a Ghost node - to see how it was wired in. The easiest way to pull this off (again, if it is possible) would be to leave it alone - just leave the…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Simultaneous Grayscale and Color Support (automatic switch)

We should have the ability to create a single node that can support both grayscale and color, rather than needing to add "gray" vs "color" suffix or prefix onto each node that can support both.

This would be a simple internal detection process, and doesn't really require any advanced changes. We would still need to write both versions of our nodes, but with the difference that Designer would automatically employ whichever one is currently plugged in.

One method that would allow us to use a single graph would be a checkbox on input and output nodes that specify they are…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Output nodes "usage" section should be more consistent with the 3D preview

I export my textures packed with each channel representing one material properties. It is possible to describe these "usages" in the Output node but the 3d viewer doesn't respect them and only seem to accept a usage that is set to RGBA components.
    I'd like the viewer to be able to gather its inputs from my Output nodes usage, even for textures that affect several material properties.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Link Node

I think there would be a huge benefit in having a node that links to other software, specifically ZBrush and Painter.

For ZBrush, the node would connect to a ZBrush session and allow for users to generate height information from the session. It can also send Designer's height data to allow for sculpting within ZBrush. This would be great for easily going back and forth between the program, while organizing the sessions for their various purposes like establishing the base forms, modifying shapes, or final touchups at the very end. I see many studios (Sony Santa Monica and Blizzard, as…

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Pen Tool for making curves

A simple pen tool for making curved lines that can have thickness adjustment. this would be instead of using a ton of warp nodes

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Better light and rendering tools

The lights in Substance Designer are very poor. You can only activate two, and you can only move one light (never the other, which is stuck in place even if you activate it). The one light you can move is very awkward and difficult to move already.
    I would like to have rendering tools built into Substance Designer that are absolutely worthy of being in the best material authoring software. movable, rotatable spotlights and point lights, among other things, would be very convenient and professional.

6 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Quick select variable in node creation

When creating a node, allow one of the variables to be edited before creating it, by pressing tab.
    For example, with the blend node:
    The blending mode is set for quick selecting. This means that if you search for the blend node, you can press tab to select with which blend node you want to add it, this variable is then set on creation.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Attribute randomizer for individual tiles (to avoid replication patterns on large areas)

Hello,
    many tutorials show already how to create an individually designed surface, even with organic realistic themes like for example a meadow with mud and other details.
    But if you use it in substance painter (or any other applicaton) to fill a large area, you can always see the pattern.
    All the realism in detail is nothing worth if you see it from far distance (like a meadow in front of your feet that reaches to the top of a far mountain).
    Because if you try to fill a large area, you need to stagger and replicate. But all your…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Substance Painter  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Quick shift preview for previous computed/cached renders

The aim of this option is to eliminate the need to re-render the whole material when you just want to compare two settings and going back and forth.

It would work like a clipboard for the material previewer
    Everytime you "record/save" a computed material you could put all the textures that goes with it into a first entry.

Then you would capture/save a second set of baked textures that have been changed after some tweakings.

And then, quickly visualise the two materials in the texture & 3D view by just alternating the two sets of textures instead of waiting for…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Sample nodes with image input?

If possible, we need a sampler function node that accepts an integer used to select the image to sample from.

If this is not possible, we need some type of setup change that allows us to create generic sampling functions that sample pixels from images, without those image indices being hard-coded into the functions.

Currently, the only way to do this is some type of switch selector that samples from several images and returns the one desired. And in the pixel processor, this is a problem, because all code ends up getting executed for each and every sample. This means…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Instant typing focus

Something that would really speed up workflow is immediate typing focus when selecting (clicking) nodes that have a single type-in control (especially function nodes, like constant values).

In addition to selecting, it should also happen immediately after creating these nodes. But I think newly created nodes are selected immediately anyway.

The only issue I can see this causing is interference with hot-keys while such a node is selected. But as long as hotkeys are typical (eg, ctrl + key), it shouldn't be a problem. No different than trying to use a hotkey immediately after typing something into a typical control.…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Replacing a node in the graph by drag and drop

It would be nice to be able to drag a node from the library on top of an existing node in the graph and replace the node including all of its current connections. Not sure if there's a way to do this now.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Frame/Comment shortcuts?

Recently I needed to update my old sbs files where there were a lot of nasty nodes. So I reorganized all structures with using of frames and comments inside. After 10 minutes of making stupide clicks I came to the conclusion that it would be much faster to do everything with shortcuts such as this done in unreal engine 4. For example, the comment is button is "C", frame is "F"? It is not clear why no one asked for such a simple function.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Autosave location override option

The purpose of autosaving is to prevent data loss from crashes, or possibly human error. This means that after we finish a material, the autosave data is pretty much useless (to some of us at least).

These files are cluttering up the substance directories. And its especially messy to those of us who categorize our materials into detailed sub-directories. In order to remove this clutter, we have to browse through every sub-directory that we've ever saved a material to and delete the ".autosave" folders.

We need an option to override the autosave location. The ability to auto-save to a single…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Option to Default Graph Format to 16-Bit

Using 8 bit gray values in programs like Painter results in very low quality materials. I always use 16-bit ALL of my materials. But I often forget to set the graph format before I publish, which means some of my filters are most likely making some aspect of my materials look bad without my noticing.

I was even told by a member of your staff to always use 16 bit for gray values.

Anyway, it would benefit me greatly to have Designer default to 16-bit. And options to allow us to select these types of defaults makes a lot of…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. From To Links Helper

When the links are very long and do not fit into the viewport, it is not clear from which node they go. Add the name of the ParentNode and Child Node when you hover over the link.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7
  • Don't see your idea?

Substance Designer

Feedback and Knowledge Base